Old February 25th 08, 08:40 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Homer Simpson[_2_]

Default Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

"Zen Cohen" wrote in message

"Homer Simpson" wrote in message
I remember years ago they put a heart rate monitor on Dr Squat (Fred
Hatfield) during his squat workout. His heart rate went through the roof
during his set, it never settled back to normal during his 5 minute rest
before his next set. After 5 sets of squats he had an average heart rate
of 80% over around a half an hour period.

My heartrate spikes pretty high when I do a number of weight routines.
When I'm in the middle of a hard workout and take minimal rest, I can do a
set of 15 goblet squats with maybe 70 lbs and my HR will spike up to about
165, which is about 90% of my max (about 180; I'm 49). Same with lateral
raises. I usually don't let it drop below 140 till I go to the next set.

I know when I first get on a cardio machine after my workout my heart
rate is generally 126. Being 52 years old that puts my heart rate at 75%
of maximum. It's a pretty safe bet it was in that range throughout most
of my workout.

I get bored if my HR is below 150 when I'm dong cardio on a machine, and
much of my cardio session is in the 85-90% range with spikes near maximum.
I maybe overdoing it, though, because it will leave my lungs feeling
"sore" for a couple days.

My biggest concern with doing cardio this hard would be that it would cut
into my recovery time drastically. For that reason it would make it very
difficult, if not impossible, to build muscle.

I still believe in slow steady arobic training for fat burning.

I lost 60 lbs over about a year and I seem to have lost the most weight
with 2-3 hr bike rides (usually with an avg HR of about 150).

That sounds like the training I did when I raced. I could never get my
bodyweight over 136 pounds in those days regardless of what I ate or how
much of it I ate. I could go to a more than I look like I can eat buffet and
put away more food than most 250 pound men. My appetite was enormous. I
think it was because of the huge expendature of calories during hours of
training a day.

Though I am
open to reading any research anyone is willing to point me to that would
convince me otherwise. As an ex bicycle racer I am convinced that
interval training is the best way there is to increase fitness level.
However I don't know how it is as far as fat burning.

How hard do you push yourself nowadays? I looked at some old logs from 20+
yrs ago where I was doing 21.5 mph avg over a 30-mile ride (including a
couple stoplights and no drafting). Now, on a much lighter bike, I can
barely do 18 mph avg over the same distance. My old times are certainly
not racer category but it sure would be nice to get to that level again. I
suspect I'm just getting too old, though.

These days my average mph over a 25 mile ride is about 15 mph. I did go out
with a group last summer and averaged 18 mph over that distance. 12 years
ago I did a 25 mile out and back time trial in slightly over an hour. I
could also do a century ride alone in around 6 hours. I could never come
close to matching that now. But I don't train like I used to. Now I am more
interested in just being fit rather than athletic. I am also interested in
building and maintaining as much muscle mass as I possibly can. At my age I
don't expect impressive results. I gave up training for powerlifting
competition after having 2 hernia surgeries. One in late 2005 and the other
in late 2006. My surgeon told me it would be ok to go back to powerlifting
but I don't want to take the risk. I powerlifted for 26 years and achieved
all of my lifetime goals (double bodyweight benchpress/400 pound
squat/triple bodyweight deadlift). None of those are really all that
competative in open powerlifting but they were my goals and I achieved them.