Old February 25th 08, 08:14 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Homer Simpson[_2_]

Default Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
On Feb 25, 2:54 pm, "Homer Simpson"
wrote:

Yes it is possible and quite common. A person's heart rate generally is
elevated the entire time their breathing is raised. If you have a heart
rate
monitor try it for yourself. Do a few heavy sets of squats to get your
heart
rate up and time the interval it takes to return to normal.

Um, well, what's "normal," now...I suppose the rate never gets back to
one's pre-exercise figure, okay, but when you said "through the roof"
and "never...back to normal" it sounds like more than just the general
elevated condition one would expect for a state of physical rigor...in
which case I have to wonder again whether something isn't unusual...I
mean, me, five minutes' rest, I'm almost back into "civilian
mode"...someone as well-practiced as Dr. Squat should recover much
better than me, even though he lifts, what, over three times more than
me....

Right after a squat or deadlift my heart's pumping like I'd just done
a long half-minute sprint or something, but within five minutes?? I
just can't imagine anyone still breathing hard after such a long time.

I was trying to repeat what the article had said. By "through the roof" I
meant maxed out. He hit maximum heart rate during his set. After 5 minutes
of rest his heart rate had not returned to normal (what it was before he
began his sets) leaving his average heart rate at 80% for the duration of
his workout.

They also said in that same article that Fred Hatfield had a heart as strong
as a marathon runner. Yet he said he never did any cardio exercise at all.
That was all from the powerlifting.

I believe Fred's best squat was 1014 pounds.