Old February 26th 08, 02:31 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Denise Howard

Default Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

In article
,
wrote:

On Feb 23, 12:38 am, Denise Howard wrote:

Exercise (cardio and strength) and diet together are the way. By
"diet" I don't mean that awful four-letter word that stands for
deprivation, denial and failure. I mean careful changes to one's daily
food intake to get good nutrition without junk calories.

Sure, all-hands-on-deck is ideal, but the original question was framed
as an either-or between cardio and lifting in the context of weight
loss, so the supreme answer would have to be a proper diet.

In an either-or context, yes, I'd have to agree.

It's 35-50 more calories per day per pound of muscle. Muscle is
metabolically active tissue, unlike fat, which means it requires energy
just to continue to exist. So for just five extra pounds of muscle you
could burn as many as 250 calories a day doing nothing at all.

The link below (mid-page) seems to indicate only 6 calories per pound
of muscle-at-rest per day!

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/health/he...tml?em&ex=1200
546000&en=45b136f71cdf1e71&ei=5087%0A

Thanks for the link. That's a newer study; looks like they've
determined the added burn to be a lot less than earlier ones indicated.
That's a darn shame!

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor