Old July 11th 04, 06:22 PM
Liz

Default Lower back pain & squatting

"Brad" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"DH" wrote in message
A few years back, I hurt my back while squatting. I often don't have much
time to workout so probably skipped the warm-up reps like an idiot. I was
lifting heavy and maybe didn't keep my stomach tight and felt a little

pain.
I stopped and my lower back hurt whenever I bent at the waist (like when I
try to touch toes) for months. It eventually went away.

Cut to present day. In another retarded moment, I went heavy on the squat
without warm-up. Was doing a set of 6 near my max and lost form on the 5th
or so and felt some pain in my back. Sure enough, I reinjured my back and

it
has been hurting for the last two months or so.

I've not been working the squat or any lower back/compound leg exercise
since. Once the pain seems to get better, I'll go over and squat the bar

for
20 reps to give it a stretch and feel it out. But the pain keeps coming

back
whenever I do something with my lower back without warm-up (even picking

up
something in the morning).

Anyway, I'm hoping the some of you have a suggestion on something I can do
to heal and then strengthen this back problem. Obviously I need to make

sure
my squat form is 100%. But is there anything that I can do to help the

back
heal faster? I do unweighted back-bends which help stretch it out. I'll

also
do a series of back stretches before I do any workout. This helps by
relaxing my back but hasn't seemed to make it any better.

ideas?

I have a severe lumbar scoliosis, which doesn't bother me 90% of the
time. But occasionally the discs slip around and the degree of the
curve gets worse and I'm in some pain. A PT advised me that whenever
this (or any low back pain) happens I should immediately stop doing
regular squats for as long as it takes to heal, and instead to
substitute dumbell squats with my back supported by a Resistaball
against the wall, high reps and do it as often as every other day.

I also like to set up a session with a good trainer every few months
to critique my squat & DL form and work on perfecting it. It's so easy
to slip into bad habits, and helps to have an objective set of
eyeballs to spot where I'm getting sloppy.

-Liz