Old July 12th 03, 05:52 PM
Five Cats

Default Bulls in fields

In article , Hywel & Ros
writes
snipped ...

Bulls may be harmless - however testing this theory with a ton of bull
preceded with sharp horns isn't a smart idea.....

Now *that's* interesting! I may take this further (we're talking about 3
large black bulls, with no cows). Thanks.

I'd be very suprised if there are 3 bulls in a field together. Bull calves,
or bullocks maybe, but not adult bulls. Without wanting to be patronising,
are you sure they were bulls and do you appreciate the difference ?

The difference is blindingly obvious once one has seen a mature bull.
The phrase 'bullneck' gets a whole new dimension.

Large bullocks will run towards you if you cross their field, but won't (in
my experience) charge home. They are just being curious and playfull.
Obviously there is potential for trouble, but if you keep your nerve and
turn and shout "shoo" or similar they stop. Although if it's a large field
they tend to get closer each time you say "shoo". If you run you will get
chased.

I reckon they associate humans with the feed bucket...

As others have said, dairy bulls are nasty regardless and shouldn't legally
be in a field with a footpath, and ditto any bull on his own. Bulls with
their cows are more concerned with the job in hand, but still worth giving a
wide berth and obviously you don't want to be between the bull and his cows.

The ones I've seen have been most concerned with feeding...

"They" say that incidents are usually associated with cattle chasing dogs
and then trampling the owners attempting to save the dog (who should be able
to run away if let go)

Incidents are also associated with suckler cows with calves - they
become very protective, and in the sorts of places we go walking (e.g.
uplands) are the kind of animal you are most likely to meet. Give them
a wide, wide berth.

--
Five Cats