Old March 3rd 08, 02:32 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running,misc.fitness.aerobic,alt.support.diet
Homer Simpson[_2_]

Default Does weight lifting or cardio exercises speed weight loss?

"Andrzej Rosa" wrote in message
Dnia 2008-02-29 Homer Simpson napisał(a):

"Andrzej Rosa" wrote in message
Quite honestly, you are overanalyzing things here. Basics are simple:

1. Lift to build muscles. Muscles look good and weight the same as fat,
so you won't need a calorie restriction to lose fat.
2. Diet to lose weight. No other way works. You can overeat your
cardio expenses very easily.
3. Run. (No cardio - really run.) Being lighter helps you run better
times, so you will hopefully be motivated to watch your diet.
Concentrate on making progress with your running (and go outside too).

You can switch the order of things as suits you best, but you can't make
them work differently. Lifting will not make you lose weight, until you
overeat due to largely psychological problems. Lifting makes you feel
goo, so it works for some people. Running alone also doesn't work all
that great if you don't watch your diet. Diet alone will always work,
but it's hard to maintain it infinitely, so for long term success you
need a lifestyle change. Be it running, lifting or a combination of
both, it still mainly helps you in watching what you eat.

I mean, it doesn't matter if you run then lift or the other way around.
Whatever you do first will improve faster, but that's it. Don't overdo
it too. Injuries suck.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R

First Muscle weighs more than fat. It is denser material.

But a pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat. It takes the
same amount of calories to carry it around with you all day too, so you
can lose fat without restricting calories. That's what I wrote.

A pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat. Thats why often even
though a person is getting smaller from losing fat, they don't see a
corresponding loss on the scale. Because the muscle they are building is
keeping the weight from dropping as much.

Anyway, that's what I see on myself all the time. I weight the same no
matter how much I train. 82 kg when I was in college and 85 kg now. My
training varied from absolutely nothing for years to twice a day. I never
diet.

Second it does matter which you do first. Cardio work will deplete your
glycogen stores so that you cannot resistance train effectively enough to
make any progress weight training at all.

Let's say, that a runner decides to supplement his running with some
lifting after his primary workout. Would he progress or not? After
training for half a year would he be able to lift more or not? If not,
why not?

"Whatever you do first will improve faster, but that's it." That's what
I wrote.

Where as weight training will
deplete your glycogen stores so that your cardio will take you into fat
burning phase much quicker making both modes of training more effective.

More effective way of wasting your training effort, probably. If you
want good mile times, you need to run relatively fresh, not after you
depleted yourself off all glycogen (and reason) with heavy squats. If you
want heavy lifts, cardio is a waste of recovery resources. If you need
both, separate workouts or a mixed routine would work better. Whatever
you do after you already gave your best for the day is probably just a
filler anyway, so either separate workouts or a balanced blend should give
better results.

It is true if you want better mile times you need to run fresh. But you
don't run the mile for time everytime you run. I would think if you wanted
to increase your strength to improve your time you would want to do some leg
training on one of your "easy" running days before you run. That was how I
did my weight training when I was racing bicycles. I didn't lift weights on
training ride days (days I rode with the team). But on "non training" ride
days I would do my resistance training then go for a ride. I believed then,
and still do, that this aided in specifity in sports training. It pre
exhausted the muscles for the ride so the muscles actually got worked before
I got winded. Then the next time I did a training ride, I was fresh from not
working out, a bit stronger, and my sprint and hill climbing ability would
improve.

It is a synergistic thing.

Yeah, sure. And magical too.

--