Old July 21st 03, 06:35 PM
Peter Gibbons

Default Weight-lifting for weight-loss

Im a 29 year old, 6'3'' 250lbs male. I have been working out
regularly (at least 3 times per week) in the gym for about the past 6
years. Around January of 2002, I started lifting heavy and managed to
pack on about 20 lbs of muscle and fat. My bodyfat is probably around
20% right now.

But even with the additional muscle, I'm not burning much of this fat
off. So at this point, I need to stop adding on any muscle weight
whatsoever (blasphemy, I know), and also lose as much bodyfat as I can
over the next few months. Why? There's a good chance I could be in
military officer school towards late fall/early winter, and they have
zero tolerance when it comes to being over the pre-determined weight
for your height. If you show up to OTS overweight, you are going
home. I think my MAW (max allowable weight) is around 225 - so that's
about 25 lbs to lose in, lets say, 3 months.
2 lbs/week for 12 weeks = 24 lbs. Close enough.

So, I need to change up my routine to more of an endurance/weight-loss
program rather than a strength program. Several years ago, before I
went to the 3x per week routine, my workout partner and I were hitting
the gym 5 days a week, and I was down around 220. Because of this, I
thought I would try to get back into that routine - start going to the
gym more often, as well as using a higher-rep/lower-weight routine so
I can increase my muscle endurance and also minimize the muscle gain.
The basic routine breakdown would be:

Day 1 - Chest & Back
Day 2 - Shoulders & Arms
Day 3 - Legs
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Chest & Back
Day 6 - Shoulders & Arms
Day 7 - Rest

Figure 5 sets of 12-10-8-6-6 on most exercises. Roughly 3 exercises
per bodypart, so maybe 30 working sets on the 'Chest & Back' and
'Shoulders & Arms' days. As well as some cardio thrown in there
whenever I can manage it.

As far as food intake goes, I'm already watching my calories
(~2000/day according to www.fitday.com) and trying to eat smaller
meals more often so I can keep my metabolism up.

So what do you guys think about that. Any tips? Anything else I
could add in or take away to give me a better shot at dropping fat and
trimming down my muscle weight without looking like a long-distance
runner?