Old July 22nd 03, 04:39 AM
Roger Zoul
Default Weight-lifting for weight-loss

Peter Gibbons wrote:
:: Im a 29 year old, 6'3'' 250lbs male. I have been working out
:: regularly (at least 3 times per week) in the gym for about the past 6
:: years. Around January of 2002, I started lifting heavy and managed
:: to pack on about 20 lbs of muscle and fat. My bodyfat is probably
:: around 20% right now.
:: But even with the additional muscle, I'm not burning much of this fat
:: off. So at this point, I need to stop adding on any muscle weight
:: whatsoever (blasphemy, I know), and also lose as much bodyfat as I
:: can over the next few months. Why? There's a good chance I could
:: be in military officer school towards late fall/early winter, and
:: they have zero tolerance when it comes to being over the
:: pre-determined weight for your height. If you show up to OTS
:: overweight, you are going home. I think my MAW (max allowable
:: weight) is around 225 - so that's about 25 lbs to lose in, lets say,
:: 3 months. 2 lbs/week for 12 weeks = 24 lbs. Close enough.
:: So, I need to change up my routine to more of an
:: endurance/weight-loss program rather than a strength program.
:: Several years ago, before I went to the 3x per week routine, my
:: workout partner and I were hitting the gym 5 days a week, and I was
:: down around 220. Because of this, I thought I would try to get back
:: into that routine - start going to the gym more often, as well as
:: using a higher-rep/lower-weight routine so I can increase my muscle
:: endurance and also minimize the muscle gain. The basic routine
:: breakdown would be:
:: Day 1 - Chest & Back
:: Day 2 - Shoulders & Arms
:: Day 3 - Legs
:: Day 4 - Rest
:: Day 5 - Chest & Back
:: Day 6 - Shoulders & Arms
:: Day 7 - Rest

Geez....when you work chest, you getting some shoulders & tris, when you
work back, you're getting biceps.

why not do a full body routine...4 days a week. Then do HIIT cardio on
inbetween days.

Still, if you control diet and get some cardio in, you ought to be okay.
HIIT is better for fat burning than normal cardio....

:: Figure 5 sets of 12-10-8-6-6 on most exercises. Roughly 3 exercises
:: per bodypart, so maybe 30 working sets on the 'Chest & Back' and
:: 'Shoulders & Arms' days. As well as some cardio thrown in there
:: whenever I can manage it.
:: As far as food intake goes, I'm already watching my calories
:: (~2000/day according to and trying to eat smaller
:: meals more often so I can keep my metabolism up.
:: So what do you guys think about that. Any tips? Anything else I
:: could add in or take away to give me a better shot at dropping fat
:: and trimming down my muscle weight without looking like a
:: long-distance runner?