Old March 12th 04, 12:45 PM
Peter Webb

Default Treadmill headrush?

No, its a perception / optical illusion thingie.

Have a go at:

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-42.htm

This is a similar thing - your eye/brain compensates/adapts for the
movement, and when the movement stops the compensation makes stationary
things appear to be moving in the opposite direction.

"Help Me" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Webb" wrote:
"Help Me" wrote:
I used a treadmill today for the first time.
When I was done and walked off the treadmill,
I felt a "headrush" -- a disorienting feeling.

Absolutely normal.

Enjoy the feeling, it only happens the first few
times you use the treadmill.

Why does this happen? Note that I am not new to
aerobic exercise or walking.

What is it about a treadmill that is different
than natural walking (at the same speed) that the
body needs to adjust to? Is walking on a treadmill
mechanically different from natural walking?