Old June 6th 04, 02:10 AM
Alan and Paula Levin

Default Running in 90 Degrees

One additional thought having made a real bad mistake in the Columbia
Tri a few weeks ago.

The run temperature was about 93 degrees and I was really hot. This
after a long cold winter.
At some point on the run some nice guy with a garden hose offered to
soak me. It felt so good that I forgot to not get my feet wet.
Blisters turned to raw skin in a few miles and my feet were in bad
shape for the rest of the race.

Keep your feet dry!!

Alan

rtk wrote:

Some years ago I was part of a heat study at Penn State in which young
untrained women were matched for fitness (vo2max) with trained women
at least 30 years older than them. Our temperatures were monitored
during two hour stints on a treadmill exercising at 70% vo2max at high
temps, low humidity, not so high temps, high humidity. It was
determined that although the older women took somewhat longer to
acclimate to the heat - i.e., not have their body temperatures rise
above a safe level - the primary contributing factor to their
adjustment to the heat was their fitness as determined by vo2max. The
least, but still quite fit, required 8 sessions. I required 4. The
lesson learned for the ordinary non-athlete, especially an old one, is
that rather than avoid the heat because she feels she *can't stand the
heat* is to get out in it and avoid a/c. For me, knowing a race will
be a hot one, it will be necessary to get my heart rate up at least 4
times in a period of two weeks. Six to eight times would be better and
certainly enough.

Ruth Kazez

Sam wrote:

One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

"BBB" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s02...

One thing that helps me is to do some of your training in the same
types

of

temperatures (run at lunch if possible). That helps me acclimate to
the
temperature and humidity.

BBB

"Timote" wrote in message

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg