Old August 19th 04, 05:37 PM
Madelaine

I'm obsessed with this concept. If it is really true, the best swimmers
should look like underweight organutans, and I don't think they do.

I'm wondering if the key ratio is arm length to total height or if it is
arm length to torso length, or arm length to leg length.

I have long arms for my height judging by eye, but lost all my very few
AAU practice races due to bad starts, save one backstroke race.

I hope this will garner more discussion after the Olympics.
Madelaine

GoodSwimFan wrote:

I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?