Old July 10th 03, 04:25 AM
Van Bagnol

Default How long before aerobics "kicks in"??

In article ,
"Peter Webb" wrote:

SNIP

More to the point, I'm not saying people on zero-carb diets can't
exercise intensely. I _am_ saying that they have to temporarily deplete
muscle glycogen to do it, which will have to be replenished before it
runs out. That's why (no surprise either) people bonk.

Agreed. Also true if you are NOT on a low carb diet.

True.

It is my belief (based upon my own personal experience) that ketogenic diets
work by simply suppressing appetite.

Now that's interesting. The normal hypothalamic response is for caloric
intake to rise/fall in directly with energy expenditure so that body
weight remains constant, i.e, the "set point" that dieters (both
overweight people trying to lose and underweight people trying to gain)
are always battling against. (Below a certain activity level, the
mechanism fails: food intake does not decline any further, causing
sedentary weight gain -- I presume that when activity increases again,
the activity/intake mechanism resumes but is now "set" at a higher
weight.) A high-protein/low-carb diet would tend to force the body into
"starvation" mode where the liver deaminates protein to provide glucose
for brain function. I wonder if the diet affects the hypothalamus to
suppress apetite, or if the amino acid / glucose gradient affects
alimentary receptors so that protein is "overpriced", i.e., tricking the
body to think it's ingested more calories than it actually did.

You are not as hungry if you don't eat carbs. This effect only
happens for me on less than about 30-50 grams/day

This is also interesting. The normal glucostatic response is for low
glucose levels to promote appetite and high levels to suppress it.

(For me, ketosis kicks in after a few days of 20 grams/day of carbs,
so the hunger suppression does not appear to be directly related to
ketosis).

It would seem that ketosis and appetite suppression are separate
consequences stemming from high-protein/low-carb intake. I don't know
much about Atkins-style diets, though, so I'll need to look into it
further.

Unfortunately, if I eat more than 50 grams/day of carbs, there is no
discernable decrease in appetite, and I am simply a guy who goes to the gym
and eats lots of bacon and eggs. With 100 grams/day of carbs and no hunger
suppression, a high protein high fat Atkins style diet could be very
fattening. As I said to the original poster, a diet of 100 grams/day of
carbs limits your food choices without neccessarily providing any weight
control benefit. I simply advised him to try 0 grams/day of carbs instead of
100 to see what happened.

So with an Atkins-style diet, it's high-protein high-fat, but you don't
feel like eating it anyway? How ironic.

(I'm not poking fun, I'm just surprised. I'm somewhat blessed with
having little trouble with weight, so weight control woes are foreign to
me.)

My first few weeks on Atkins disproved the old saying "If you don't
eat, you don't ****, and if you don't ****, you die". On no carbs,
you don't ****, but you don't die either ...

No ****, really? :-)

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com
....enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing / Skydiving / Mountain Biking