Old November 30th 04, 10:50 PM
Terry R. McConnell

In article ,
Marcus Holmes wrote:
Some of you will remember my saga. I am slowly recovering from an ankle
injury last May. Took 5 months off, and just recently started ramping up.

So here's the story. I got to the point where I could run 5 miles on the
treadmill with no pain (semi-conservative ramp-up, about 10% a week -
sometimes I didn't follow but most of the time I did). This past
Thanksgiving I decided what the hell and I ran in our local 5 miler.
Literally from the first couple of steps my ankle began to hurt.

I haven't run since then and today decided to run on the treadmill until
my ankle started to hurt or I hit 5 miles, whatever came first. I ran 5
miles with no (or maybe just a bit of tingling) pain.

So my question is, what gives? Why can I run on the treadmill pain free
and not on the road? Is this an indication that I need new shoes (I
shouldn't, number of miles on them is low and I've been running in same
model for over 3 years)? Does it mean I need orthotics? Or does it just
mean I need to strengthen my ankle more by gradually working road work
into my recovery/training?

Have you done any easy running on the roads? You were comparing a race on
the roads (which hurt) with (presumably much easier) training runs on the
treadmill. It sure looks like your case argues for doing some road training
before jumping into a road race.

Treadmills seem to have a lot more cushioning than the roads. Also, you
can concentrate on good form (or bad form if you are favoring something)
more easily than when you are out on the road.

I vote for working some easy road training back into your program.

I'm thinking I almost need two running plans/strategies. The first is my
general 10% increases on the treadmill to get my base going and keep
building with lower impact. The other will be to intersperse road running
into the schedule to help rebuild the ankle tendons, bones, whatever.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiencecs when coming back from an
injury?

Thanks!

Terry R. McConnell Mathematics/215 Carnegie/Syracuse, N.Y. 13244-1150
229B Physics Bldg http://barnyard.syr.edu/~tmc