Old July 9th 08, 01:46 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Steve Freides

Default Treadmill advice needed

On 2008-07-08, Steve Freides wrote:

You miss the point entirely. No one says kettlebells are better or
worse. Read my reply again -

Your "reply" was a non-sequiter that completely ignored the OP's
question
which was about buying treadmills and instead consisted of unsolicited
advice
about training methods.

This is a consistent pattern in your posts. You are not responsive to
questions posed. At best this reflects an egocentric world view, and
as such
it is seen as heavy handed or even a bit rude.

it begins with the words "my choice would
be"

What your "choice would be" is neither responsive nor relevant to the
OP's
question.

and I assume the original poster doesn't need your help to figure
out that he/she may have a different opinion. I shared mine

Which was not responsive to OP's question.

The OP was not asking for a critique of his/her approach to training,
or
soliciting novel training methods.

and I'm not
bashful about doing that. That you seem to feel my opinion carries
the
weight of some religious dictum is your problem, I'm afraid.

The fact that you "respond" to the OP's question with a request or at
the very
least, an invitation to abandon their approach and instead come around
to your
way of thinking creates the impression that you are here to
proselytize rather
than to help.

Often 3/4 of the battle is asking the right question, and I don't
consider it proselytizing to suggest that the wrong question may have
been asked. Sorry if you think otherwise. In my opinion, anyone in the
OP's position - wanting to exercise and lose weight - ought to be aware
of the entire continuum of exercise possibilities, from pure
strength/power training to aerobic/endurance training. Many people
think their only option is to, well, whatever it is they've been exposed
to, and it seems to be some sort of "default" response among many: Oh,
I'm overweight, guess I better start running.

My main purpose in responding to this question is to "proselytize" my
belief that one ought to investigate _all_ options, and then to
specifically mention those options I believe the OP hasn't considered
and with which I am familiar enough to be able to assist. If the OP
isn't interested, he needn't respond to me and that will be the end of
it.

Having done that several messages ago, I will refrain from further
police the otherwise free conversations here.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com