Old October 11th 11, 12:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,rec.running
Doug Freese

Default Another fear-mongering article on supplementation....

"Existential Angst" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:27:19 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
http://health.msn.com/womens-health/...1010&GT1=31036

What a load of horse****....

True, water has an LD-50.... so does O2....

It is true that STUPID supplementation is of course dangerous.
There are pillmakers who sell 250 mg tablets of B6, which is positively
toxic.
5-hour energy contains 40 mg of B6, which is also ultra un-smart
(assuming
my astigmatic eyes read the label right).
Hmmm.... lemme check.... Yup.... along with 833 mcg of B-12, which is
semi-absurd.

Hard to know where to even begin on this kind of "research", reporting.
think the Enquirer and Star Mag have better fact-checking/peer-review
than
these jerkoff journal articles.

The one thing that DOES make sense is the iron connection, which is
clinically/histologically well-observed.
More and more multi's are offering the option of zero iron, such as
Costco's Mature Multi, not a bad formula. Their Performance Multi has 9
mg of iron, a bit less than most others.
Iron is thought by many to be MUCH more the culprit in CAD than effing
cholesterol.

It is virtually impossible to get "optimal nutrition" from a
"""""sensible
diet""""".

Magnesium correlated with effing mortality???? Are you effing kidding
me?????????????
Magnesium is as close to a miracle nutrient as you can get, and it is
unlikely that anyone short of herbivores are getting even the RDA (about
400 mg), which is proly already woefully low -- proly 800 mg is a better
"minimum".

Magnesium will stop kidney stones, arrest acute asthma attacks, lower
blood pressure, make yer dick grow longer..... well, at least I think it
did.... LOL

Magnesium (or lack thereof) also seems to be increasingly implicated in
the osteoporotic process.

Oh, yeah, runners (marathon) proly need more nutrients per lb bw than any
other athlete, which is sort of confirmed by my previous post on
osteoporosis and cycling (steady :LARGE loss of calcium through sweat), as
well as studies on protein. Runners require more protein per lb bw than
virtually any other athalete, as well.

So runners who DON'T supplement are proly operating at a handicap from the
gitgo.

I'll just say I'm leery of the large studies be it the Iowa female or the
Bedsty nympho. There is so much stuff going on in those studies that to
determine if Massingill Rose hips or vinegar flavor makes things smell
better is mathematically bizarre much less believable. Roll stuff across
some thousands of people and drawing some conclusion about a single change
or two, well, the check is in the mail. There are too few controls.

FWIW I do use some daily supplements because I don't always eat properly or
balanced and I run 5 days a week. I won't itemize my vitamins but to say I
have the blessing of my vet. That said, I do get ****ed at such products
like Hammer that packs their exercise stuff with more **** then a septic
tank. They think if you add more stuff with letters like b and c etc. and
doing one an hour for 20 hours is wonderful. It's too much stuff.

-Doug