Old July 28th 03, 08:24 PM
Gary

Default YANBPQ (Yet Another n00b Bench Press Question)

Some background...I'm thinking of trying to get on with the local
police unit in their reserve program. Among various entrance
requirements is a fitness requirement consisting of 5 tests, one of
which is a 1-rep bench press (is that the 1RM figure I see on the
group?) at 88% of body weight. I'm looking at about 2 months before
the test. I don't have to pass all the tests and I've been
concentrating on the 1.5 mile run and sit up tests, but I think I'd
like to have a cushion and see what I can do to improve my bench.

My upper-body strength is poor and I'm very much built like others in
my preferred method of exercise, cycling. That is very
"triangle-like". At present I'd say my max. 1RM bench sits at about
130#, maybe 135#. It needs to be about 165#. Knowing nothing about
strength training, is it just totally unrealistic to make such an
increase in 2 months? I don't have the time to join a gym, but I do
have access to a decent bench and curl bar (Olympic weights).

I've been doing bench for about 2.5 - 3 weeks and have seen almost nil
improvement in my weight capacity. I took the workout I found in a
thread here for someone in a situation similar to my own and have been
using that. Namely:

Bench:
Set 1: 5 reps at 60% workout weight
Set 2: 4 reps at 80% workout weight
Set 3: 3 reps at 90% workout weight
Set 4: 3 reps at 100% workout weight
Set 5: 3 reps at 90% workout weight

For "workout weight" I use 130#, but typically I can't get to 3 reps
at that weight so I've reduced it to 120#.

Chins:
5x5 constant weight

Triceps with curl bar:
Set 1: 5 reps at 75% workout weight
Set 2: 5 reps at 90% workout weight
Set 3: 5 reps at 100% workout weight

Repeat above every 2 or 3 days.

I started out doing the above workout every 2 days but reading more
threads here lead me to believe that perhaps that was over doing it
and so last week I only did the workout twice. Also the original
thread said to increase the workout weight by 2.5# every workout. I
haven't done that. I was thinking that I'd start that after I could do
130# for 3 reps.

One of the big things I notice about this workout is that I don't feel
any soreness the next day. This is troubling since I expect to feel
sore if my muscles are building themselves up. Just wrong-thinking on
my part?

I'm much more used to seeing cardio-type improvement, for example,
running. I did not run prior to training for the fitness test, and
I've seen steady decreases in my times since I started at almost every
workout. Part of this I attribute to the fact that my cardio system
wasn't in horrible shape to start with, given my prior cycling
workouts. But I was looking to see that same fast ramp-up in my bench
pressing capacity and have not. Is it just that strength training
doesn't work that way, or is my workout just all wrong?

I'm not totally without weight training experience. I have "toyed"
with weights in the past, but I've never had strength-gain as one of
my goals. Typically I was more concerned with muscle tone and so
concentrated on higher reps with lower weights.

Any advice appreciated!
Gary