Old February 22nd 05, 02:41 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:35:20 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mikem" wrote in message
. com...
What is the problem with Smith Machines? The one at my club seems
fairly new and the safety stops are intact.

I've never heard either way about the benefits of Smith Machines. The
attraction for me is that I could do Bench Press & Overhead Press-type
exercizes safely by myself.

Your chances of getting answered are considerably lessened if you top post.

Google this. It has been discussed to death.

The steel governed bar path has considerable opportunity to damage soft
tissue.

one thing i do know is that the vertical smith has a lousy path
for a bench press. if you start with the bar above your nipples,
you'll see you're doing most of the lift with your anterior delts.
the smith that is on an angle is a little better.

if you have no access to a rack, then i would say use
the smith but work in dumbbell exercises also. just so you
don't lose all the stability benefits. and don't think that
the press you can do on the smith has anything to do with
a press with a free bar.
....thehick