Old July 9th 03, 05:58 PM
Steve Freides

Default Front Crawl Technique Question - OK to "shrug" shoulder to reach further

I notice that, when I'm really reaching far in front of during front
crawl, I can get a little further reach if I "shrug" my shoulder but I'm
concerned this might be bad for my shoulder. I know from weight
training that keeping the shoulder down in the socket is important but,
given that this is in the water and all that, I don't know if it's
enough different to matter or if perhaps this varies by the individual
swimmer. Of course, I'm after the maximum reach with risk of injury.
All in all, whatever I'm doing in both lifting and swimming hasn't
caused me any serious problems but I do notice I sometimes feel like I
have a bit of stiff neck, for lack of a better description.

Other: 48 years old, male, recreational swimmer who can turn in a :14 25
yards with an in the water start, swims repeat 100's in about 1:40 on
2:00, etc.

Thanks in advance.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com