Old December 15th 04, 01:07 PM
Michael Farthing

In message , Peewiglet
writes
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

The basic rule about Gaelic is that if in doubt about how a particular
letter or letter combination is pronounced, miss it out. You will be
correct more often than you are incorrect.

But for an expert opinion:

"The difficulties to be surmounted in studying and pronouncing Gaelic
are not at all so formidable or so numerous as they may at first sight
appear"

[MacLaren's Gaelic Self-Taught] Introduction

"The combination of lingual consonants with labials and also g and ch is
noted in that they interpolate an added vowel sound between them and one
generally correspondent to the preceding vowel. Thus, the combinations
ib, ich, ig, im, ip and so on, interpolate this distinct drawl vowel
between them. faibh [falu"v); alba (alabu"); tilg (tchy lyk) etc.
Similarly between the same groups of consonants when they come next each
other in compound words: ban-mhaighstir (banava"shtchyr)."

ibid, Para 37

Can't think what you're making a fuss about.

--
Michael Farthing
Aardvark Ltd