Atech wrist heart monitor watch- any good?

Old November 17th 04, 02:48 PM
Jack Walston

Default Atech wrist heart monitor watch- any good?

My current Polar heart rate monitor has just about given up the ghost.
Recently, I came across and ad featuring a watch from Atech. This watch
doesn't need the chest strap. Being the holiday season and my family asking
what I want, naturally one of the "wants" is a new heart rate monitor. I
like the convenience of not having a chest strap, but WILL go back to the
Polar if the reviews of the Atech brand aren't good. So, what's the verdict
on Atech- any good or stick with Polar? BTW, I am a speed walker and the
Polar chest strap was regularly doused with sweat for nearly five years of
4-6 day/ week walking. It's only been this last year that reading have
become inconsistent, but I KNOW it is a good monitor because it has taken my
abuse. I just wanted to get away from the strap if possible.

Thanks, in advance, for the Atech opinions.

Jack

Old November 20th 04, 02:44 PM
Tony

Jack Walston wrote in message ...
[...]

Without the strap it won't be accurate, period. BTW, you can purchase new
chest straps from polar. Did the battery in the watch part give out, or did
the HRM function just stop working? Might just need a new battery in the
watch and/or a new chest strap.

-Tony

Old November 21st 04, 07:29 PM
Joe User

"Jack Walston" wrote:
My current Polar heart rate monitor has just about given up the ghost.
Recently, I came across and ad featuring a watch from Atech. This
watch doesn't need the chest strap.

The only Atech HRM (Atech Pulse Computer F18) that I found
on the web does indeed have a chest strap, according to the
description. Can you be more specific about the Atech model
and where you find the description, if online.

I know nothing about Atech. But IMHO, the price (under $28
US) suggests low quality. Moreover, I have my doubts about
any product called a pulse "computer". The manufacturer
does not seem to know what its product does (monitor or
measure, not compute).

I like the convenience of not having a chest strap

But be sure your are getting a (continuous) heart rate
__monitor__, if that's what you want, not a pulse "meter".
The distinction I make is: a pulse "meter" only measures
your pulse at a specific time, typically when you put your
finger(s) on a sensor. Most "HRMs" that I have seen without
chest straps are really pulse "meters", by my definition.

but WILL go back to the Polar if the reviews of the
Atech brand aren't good.

Generally, a true continuous HRM without a chest strap
relies on technology that is less reliable. Some use
infrared to distinguish the flow of blood (diastolic
and systolic). Some use a pressure sensor to detect
pulse, as we do with a finger. Both methods are
ineffective under some common conditions.

Of course, the same can be said for a chest strap,
especially if it is misused. But since the chest
sensor is measuring the electrical output of the heart,
generally it is more reliable.

I am a speed walker and the Polar chest strap was
regularly doused with sweat for nearly five years of
4-6 day/ week walking.

As does mine. With proper care, that should not matter.
First, the rubberized sensor part of the chest strap is
easy to rinse and dry after each use. Second, I separate
the elastic strap and toss it in with my gym clothes,
which I run through a cold-water rinse after each use.
Sweat is very damaging to all clothing material.

It's only been this last year that reading have
become inconsistent

There could be many reasons for that, all of which are
cheap and easy to remedy. For example, if your strap
is losing elasticity and slipping away from the heart,
the strap can be replaced.

Note: I have also found that the "buckle" on the
latest Polar strap allows the strap to loosen too easily.
I simply put a metal paper clip on the strap so that it
cannot slip through the slots in the "buckle".

I just wanted to get away from the strap if possible.

And there are good reasons to do so. What are yours?

Nonetheless, I still advocate the use of an HRM with
chest electrodes because they are more consistent and
more reliable.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
wrist problem fj Weights 45 August 20th 04 09:51 PM
A suggestion for a scoring system M.W. Smith Swimming 33 December 14th 03 04:55 PM
Workouts & Max Heart Rate Donovan Rebbechi Weights 0 August 31st 03 01:50 PM
Heart Rates: Am I doing myself harm? daisho Aerobic 2 July 7th 03 09:48 PM