Cellulite!!!! is fat.

Old January 2nd 05, 07:26 PM
elzinator

Default Cellulite!!!! is fat.

Neefer wrote:
shea grimm wrote:
(Neefer) wrote:

2. The most successful method of losing fat is aerobic exercise

combined
with a healthy diet. Weightlifting has worked for some people, but

the other method has better results for the vast majority of

people.

Given that weight training is said to reduce fat because muscle

burns
more calories at rest, so a more muscular body will burn more

calories
and thus be a more efficient fat burning machine, why would weight
training only work 'for some people'?

I have seen anecdotal evidence that people who only weight train
lose fat. I have not seen any sort of study that has espoused this.
I agree totally that building more muscle will result in a need for
more energy (more calories burned). I strongly believe in a balanced
fitness program and goals. Flexibility is the most neglected aspect
of fitness, and many weightlifters (aerobicizers) neglect aerobic
exercise (resistance training). Diet and muscular endurance also
tend to fall by the wayside.

Although the simple equation of Energy Balance = Enegy Input - Energy
Input is a basic tenet of weight loss, it is still simplistic.

An exercise program for fat loss should include both aerobic and
anaerobic exericse, coupled with a balanced and sensible diet (and meet
the criteria of the tenet above).

Regardless, the issue of cellulite (coined by a Frenchman) is an issue
of more than just fat cells: skin, connective tissue, underlying
muscle, water, etc. If I recall a rather extensive thread appeared on
mfw a few years ago (in which I particpated in repsonse to
misinformation posted by a cosmetic surgeon). Do a Google search on
this forum with 'Elzi' and 'cellulite'.

Why would aerobics produce
better results for 'the vast majority of people'? Isn't is just that
MORE people use aerobics to lose fat, not that it's a better method?

Well, I was thinking of the chemical process involved. The fact that

aerobic exercise metabolizes energy stored as fat much more

effectively
than anaerobic exercise. In general, the things that I have read,
the seminars that I have attended, have indicated that diet and
aerobic exercise are the keys to losing fat. Resistance training can
help.

Muscle tissue is just as important. In fact, Frank Booth (my mentor in
exercise and gene expression/physiology) of Univ of Missouri recently
published an excellent article explaining the significance of exericse
and muscle tissue in maintaining health and optimal body weight. (see
recent issue of American Scientist) Resistance training does more than
just 'help'. It contains genes/proteins which are responsible for
metabolism. Since muscle contains ~30-45% of total bodyweight (varies
more in this day and age of obesity), this tissue plays a significant
role in our pysiology, at rest and in activity.

Regardless, aerobic exercise is more effective in mobilizing fat in
certain deposits than resistance training. Therefore the two should be
combined. Aerobic exercise is more efficient (note the term 'efficient'
not to be construed with 'better') in mobilizing fat because of
activation of both CNS and SNS systems. These are the lipolytic
'signals', so to speak.

I will have to look up the chemical processes in order to repeat them

here, and I will also have to see if I do have a paper or article on
aerobic vs anaerobic activity.

There are a number of studies that examine the efficacy of aerobic vs
anaerobic, as well as either and both coupled with diet. The concensus
is that both forms of exercise when coupled with a moderately
hypocaloric diet are the most efficacious in reducing and maintaining
loss of bodyfat.

Cellulite!!!! nikki Weights 9 January 2nd 05 07:31 PM
Cellulite question [email protected] Weights 0 January 2nd 05 03:10 PM
cellulite or something on my legs?! [email protected] Weights 0 January 2nd 05 03:09 PM
Ridiculous article I just knew everyone hear would love! Clint Leonard Weights 2 May 5th 04 05:34 PM
Why do fat women turn men off? The Danimal Weights 48 October 25th 03 05:16 PM