How does a scrawny weakling like myself improve his benching?

Old January 20th 04, 07:43 AM
Rodney

Default How does a scrawny weakling like myself improve his benching?

Hi,

I am 28 years old, 6'3" tall and weigh a measley 172 pounds. Yes, I am
very skinny and have been "underweight" all my life.

About 10 years ago I went to the gym for about a year. I had very good
strength gains in many areas but my benching was weak. Just recently
I've started going back to the gym. I am enjoying the exercises but
would like to seriously concentrate on my bench press. At the moment I
do 3x12 at 66 pounds (pathetic!!!). Towards the end of my third set I
am struggling ever so slightly. Another problem I have is that my
wrists hurt a lot after I've been benching. I suspect this is a result
of RSI from working on computers for many years.

Anyways, I'd like to really improve my bench pressing. Could someone
please give me a few hints and tips on the best approach to benching
big weights. My aim is to eventually bench around 250 pounds. I know,
a LONG WAY to go!

Thanks
Rod
Old January 20th 04, 03:11 PM
Steve Freides

"Rodney" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You might try working on pushups instead for a while. There are many ways
to make pushups harder and easier, many ways to place your hands on the
ground - a good, basic conditioning movement.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old January 20th 04, 03:17 PM
Mark Downing

"Rodney" wrote in message
[...]

Rodney,

A couple of years ago, my training partner and used a workout designed to
improve your bench press to great success. It was designed by Shawn
Phillips. I think the name was "Improve your bench by 50 pounds." I didn't
improve mine by bench by 50 pounds, but I set a personal best by benching
275# at a body weight of 175#.

Do a search on the net for the above workout.

I will offer this advice... Are you squatting? If not then start. It is
commonly thought that big, taxing, compound exercises like the squat and
deadlift will force your body to release greater amounts of testosterone.
This will help you bench too.

Old January 20th 04, 04:00 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Steve Freides wrote:

"Rodney" wrote...

[...]

A good, basic conditioning movement that hurts a lot of people's
wrists much more than benching does. He'd have to start out
with knee pushups anyway, so I don't see the point.

To the OP, using wrist pain is not uncommon in benching,
especially if you've got small wrists. Don't bend your wrists
backward excessively when you bench, because this really
aggravates your wrists. Wrist wraps will help reduce wrist pain
a great deal. Google "Altus wrist wraps" to see typical
products, which are available (here in the States) at various
sporting goods stores. Put them on before each set, because
leaving them on can cause bruising and soreness of its own. I
use their Red Line wraps, but you might be better off starting
with the plain beige ones (don't know the model name). As your
bench increases, your wrists will adapt to the load, so you'll
only need to use the wraps for heavy sets.

To bench more, bench mo bench 3x per week, with each bench
workout fairly manageable (2-3 submaximal working sets).
Maintain good form, don't go to failure, and add weight when you
can.

--
-Wayne
Old January 20th 04, 04:11 PM
Bruce

In misc.fitness.weights
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote:

To bench more, bench mo bench 3x per week, with each bench
workout fairly manageable (2-3 submaximal working sets).
Maintain good form, don't go to failure, and add weight when you
can.

Don't go to failure? Why not? I would suggest he is a good candidate for
this program:

Add 50lbs to Your Bench
http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/spreads...mm2kadd50.html

Its worked for me "untrained" twice and worked for a friend of mine that
was already well trained. It has also worked for my wife. She went from
not being able to do the bar to doing 105 lbs in 7 weeks which is an 260%
increase.

Old January 20th 04, 04:22 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Bruce wrote:

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote:

To bench more, bench mo bench 3x per week, with each
bench workout fairly manageable (2-3 submaximal working
sets). Maintain good form, don't go to failure, and add
weight when you can.

Don't go to failure? Why not?

Because it's moronic, as has been discussed TO DEATH. I'm not
in the mood to rehash this.

I would suggest he is a good candidate for this program:

Add 50lbs to Your Bench
http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/spreads...mm2kadd50.html

He'll add 50 (or 100) lbs to his bench, in due course, anyway.

Its worked for me "untrained" twice and worked for a friend
of mine that was already well trained. It has also worked
for my wife. She went from not being able to do the bar to
doing 105 lbs in 7 weeks which is an 260% increase.

It's as likely to result in injury as success. Newbies have
no business doing a 1RM or repeatedly working to failure.
This has also been discussed to death.

--
-Wayne
Old January 20th 04, 04:27 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Mark Downing wrote:

A couple of years ago, my training partner and used a
workout designed to improve your bench press to great
success. It was designed by Shawn Phillips. I think the
name was "Improve your bench by 50 pounds." I didn't
improve mine by bench by 50 pounds, but I set a personal
best by benching 275# at a body weight of 175#.

Do a search on the net for the above workout.

To the OP: DON'T DO THIS. Well, you can read what you want,
but don't do that program. Submaximal lifting, 3x per week,
with good form and simple progressive resistance, will maximize
your gains safely.

I will offer this advice... Are you squatting? If not then
start.

Squatting is good tm.

It is commonly thought that big, taxing, compound
exercises like the squat and deadlift will force your body
to release greater amounts of testosterone. This will help
you bench too.

References? Something can be commonly thought to be the case
without actually being the case.

--
-Wayne
Old January 20th 04, 04:32 PM
Bob MacWilliam

(Rodney) wrote in message . com...
[...]

There's a million good programs out there (and bad ones too) and no
one right way to get there. However, one common theme among teh good
ones that you need to build into your program is progression. Vary
your rep ranges from 12-15, down through 3-5, and everywhere in
between, and even negatives now and then. A week or two at one rep
range, then increase the weight and drop the reps. Don't fall into
the trap of "I'll increase weight when I get stronger". Adopt the
attitude of "I'll increase the weight IN ORDER to get stronger" - this
outlook will take you much further. Good luck.

Bob
Old January 20th 04, 04:50 PM
Steve Freides

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message
Steve Freides wrote:

"Rodney" wrote...

[...]

I will hazard that the lowly pushup has been the cause of far fewer injuries
than the bench press, Wayne, despite the fact that it's probably done by
more people. Get real. I will state, for the record, that I've lost count
of the number of people I know which shoulder injuries attributable to bench
pressing but I've yet to meet a single person, or hear of one on this
newsgroup or elsewhere, who told me they'd hurt their wrists doing pushups.
(Of course, they'll all come out of the woodwork now and you'll tell me how
you can BP 300 lbs. but can't do a pushup because it bothers your wrists.)

Nor is it guaranteed that he'd need to start on his knees. I've rarely
seen people start pushups from the bottom, Wayne, which is the only way to
make the effort similar to that of a bench press regarding weight. I'm
willing to bet that he can get into the top position of a pushup and hold it
for a few seconds - today, right now. From there, it's onward and upward -
beginning to lower and come back up, more reps, etc. And if it's true he
can't hold the top position of a pushup, there are ways to work around that,
e.g., wall pushups, pushups with your arms up a couple of steps, etc.

Straps? Sheesh... Drop and give me 20 pushups, Wayne.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old January 20th 04, 05:07 PM
Lordy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:27:17 +0000, Wayne S. Hill wrote:

To the OP: DON'T DO THIS. Well, you can read what you want,
but don't do that program. Submaximal lifting, 3x per week,
with good form and simple progressive resistance, will maximize
your gains safely.

Also is 12 reps a bit much? Maybe come down to the 8 rep range,
with a bit more weight.
maybe cycle rep ranges from week to week bet 5 and 10?
Eat protein.
Get plenty of sleep/rest.

Lordy