Need info about Armed Forces Bootcamp req's

Old March 16th 04, 08:25 AM
Brian Link

Default Need info about Armed Forces Bootcamp req's

So I've decided I'd better start doing some cardio and get my
endurance up. I sing at a church in town here with a huge staircase to
the balcony, and I've always gotta sit out a few verses on the opening
hymn to catch my breath after heaving myself to the top.

Since goal-less exercise usually doesn't work for me, I started
thinking about some good solid goals I could work toward. Then I
remembered a Discovery channel series following boot campers, and how
some of em couldn't pass qualifying fitness tests.

Now there's a good set of goals - meeting requirements that even
teenagers can flunk out of.

So can anyone point me to a place that lists various tests for fitness
used by armed forces boot camps? What would be cool would be a list
along the lines of "to graduate, do X situps in X time, run X miles in
X time, X pushups", etc.

Then to be real cruel, something insanely hard like SEAL
qualification.. for comparison.. hehe

Thanks for any info.

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
----------------------------------
"The following words and phrases may not be used in a cadence- Budding
sexuality, necrophilia, I hate everyone in this formation and wish
they were dead, sexual lubrication, black earth mother, all Marines
are latent homosexuals, Tantric yoga, Gotterdammerung, Korean hooker,
Eskimo Nell, we've all got jackboots now, slut puppy, or any
references to squid."
- Skippy's Rules for the Army
Old March 16th 04, 02:41 PM
JC Der Koenig

"Brian Link" wrote in message
So I've decided I'd better start doing some cardio and get my
endurance up. I sing at a church in town here with a huge staircase to
the balcony, and I've always gotta sit out a few verses on the opening
hymn to catch my breath after heaving myself to the top.

Since goal-less exercise usually doesn't work for me, I started
thinking about some good solid goals I could work toward. Then I
remembered a Discovery channel series following boot campers, and how
some of em couldn't pass qualifying fitness tests.

Now there's a good set of goals - meeting requirements that even
teenagers can flunk out of.

So can anyone point me to a place that lists various tests for fitness
used by armed forces boot camps?

Passing the APFT is extremely easy. Decent goals along those lines are being
able to run 2 miles in 14 minutes, 70 strict pushups in 2 minutes, and 70
situps in 2 minutes. These goals can be achieved without any extraordinary
training.

Old March 16th 04, 02:52 PM
Arashikage

"Brian Link" wrote in message

Now there's a good set of goals - meeting requirements that even
teenagers can flunk out of.

So can anyone point me to a place that lists various tests for fitness
used by armed forces boot camps? What would be cool would be a list
along the lines of "to graduate, do X situps in X time, run X miles in
X time, X pushups", etc.

Somewhat easy:

This is from the norwegian army's parachute platoon
Minium requirements:

5 hangups - overhand grip
35 situps - hips 90 degrees, elbows to touch knees at each rep.
20 hyperextensions from flat bench
28 pushups
5k in 26 minutes

Harder:

The SEAL physical screening test:

a. 500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12 minutes and 30
seconds

10-minute rest

b. Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

c. Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

d. Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)

10-minute rest

e. Run 1 miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11 minutes and 30
seconds.

Old March 16th 04, 03:39 PM
Helgi Briem

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:52:08 +0100, "Arashikage"
wrote:

Harder:
The SEAL physical screening test:

a. 500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12 minutes
and 30 seconds
10-minute rest
b. Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
c. Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
d. Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
10-minute rest
e. Run 1 miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11 minutes
and 30 seconds.

That's hard?? For whom? Roseanne Barr?

I don't want to sound as if I'm boasting, but I find it
hard to believe that it's that easy to get into the SEALs.
Maybe I'll go for it and become the oldest SEAL
recruit in history. I could do the test above
without the rests in between and I don't even run.

1 miles in 11:30 is my normal walking speed.

The "barge people" in my pool do 500 yards breaststroke
in less than 12:30.