Playing with pushups

Old June 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Steve Freides

Default Playing with pushups

"Ignoramus11156" wrote in message
As I posted before, I am trying to improve my fitness with mostly
calisthenics.

Recently I went on a 2 week program called "grease the groove" that
improved my pushup count from 39 to 43. I already had been working on
increasing that number prior to commencing that program, so I could
not hope for "newbie gains", although, honestly, I expected better.

This program lasted for 2 weeks, involved days with varied intensity
and set count of pushups, and is now calling for "do something else
for 2 weeks".

Now I am thinking, what "else" can I do for two weeks, to improve both
strength and endurance.

My current thinking is this: every other day, do 35 pushups, 2-3
sets. On alternating days, do a few sets (maybe 4) of power pushups
with clapping hands. (I can do 7 of those in a row relatively easily,
have not tried my max -- maybe 9).

Have you tried ladders? They're another technique Clarence Bass talks
about in an article on his web site as having learned from Pavel.
Basically you do them with a partner or with an imaginary partner - you
do one, your partner does one, you do two, your partner does two, and so
on, until you pretty much can't do any more. You can take a rest and do
multiple ladders if you wish. Clarence Bass likens ladders to GTG on a
more traditional workout schedule - it's a way to get a lot of volume
while still staying pretty fresh. Ladders up to 7 or 8 or so ought to
do pretty well for you.

Here you go: http://www.cbass.com/Pavel'sLadders.htm

Would that do me any good as far as improving muscle size and

endurance?

Beats me. There are about a thousand better ways to work on muscle
size than with pushups. Even somebody my size isn't going to get bigger
doing lots of pushups. You'll certainly improve your endurance at
pushups by doing lots of pushups.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old June 8th 04, 07:24 PM
Steve Freides

In article , Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

A very good suggestion, and it is also very sensible, especially for
pullups. You see, I can do pushups at work, but not pullups, due to
lack of a pullup bar.

Maybe I will do something like this: every morning, do a pushup ladder
with the interval of 5: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. 5, 10, 15, 20, that
sort of thing, for a few minutes. Then, either a couple of sets of 35,
or a few sets of explosvie pushups with clapping hands, on alternating
days.

Would that do me any good as far as improving muscle size and

endurance?

Beats me. There are about a thousand better ways to work on muscle
size than with pushups. Even somebody my size isn't going to get

bigger
doing lots of pushups. You'll certainly improve your endurance at
pushups by doing lots of pushups.

Thanks... I guess you are right.

Nothing wrong with pushups, mind you, I just think they're too easy to
do 'wrong' - if you do them right, keeping your upper body straight as a
board, butt tucked under, abs tight, they're alright. I just don't know
too many people who do them for reps and do them that way.

Hey, whatever rocks your boats. I find endless pushups and situps
mindnumbing but I like doing the kinds of numbers you're doing in things
like kettlebell snatches, mostly because I feel like I get a tougher
workout, one in which you can't 'cheat' as easily.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old June 8th 04, 07:24 PM
Steve Freides

[...]

Aerobic exercise + pushups S.T. Aerobic 7 July 18th 05 10:02 AM
Clapping pushups, ow. Theresa Weights 24 December 11th 04 03:06 AM
Need info about Armed Forces Bootcamp req's Brian Link Weights 50 March 18th 04 12:14 AM
Power pushups Steve Freides Weights 2 January 5th 04 10:42 PM
bench press vs pushups T.R.H. Weights 16 July 28th 03 01:42 PM