TR: An Edale Visit

Old May 16th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
sandy saunders

Default TR: An Edale Visit

Decided to have a couple of days camping in Edale as the weather forecast
looked reasonable. Set of from Portsmouth early Monday morning, and was
picking my younger son up from Barnsley at midday. Gentle (and easy) drive
through Sheffield, with spectacular views as we dropped down to Ladybower
reservoir, with more stunning views driving through the Vale of Edale.
Arrived at Coopers campsite opposite the Old Nags Head, and soon had the
tents pitched. Quick cuppa in the sun, then off for a gentle walk above
Edale village. My son isn't the fittest of walkers, so a gentle 3 miler to
start. Followed the path up Grinds Brook, soon branching off right for the
gentle ascent up to Nether Tor over Golden Clough. Turned right at Nether
Tor and continued down to Ringing Roger, then dropped down to The Nab.
Followed the path left down to Oller Brook and on to Ollerbrook Booth farm.
Short walk from Ollerbrook back to the campsite. Chilled out in the sun
with a couple of beers, then cooked our evening meal. Had a stroll down to
The Rambler pub, which was rather empty, then returned up to the Old Nags
Head. Jamie returned to his tent, but I fancied a night-cap for bed.

Rather windy through the night, and foolishly forgot to put our rubbish bag
in the car. Awoke during the night to a rustling sound of plastic
............. which was the bag being ripped! Only a couple of small hole so
no contents of the bag removed. It spent the the rest of the night in the
car. Can only assume it was a fox.

Tuesday morning was a leisurely start, having rather nice bacon butties and
coffee in the sun. It was still very windy though, and chilly in the wind,
but out of the wind the sun was pleasantly warm. Once we had washed up and
cleared things away, we set off for the days ' longer' walk - 7 miles.
Started out along the Pennine Way to Upper Booth, then headed north
following the path alongside Crowden Brook. As the wind was easterly, we
had good shelter along this path. No water on the waterfall at the head of
the valley, so a little enjoyable scrambling was had. Turned right at
Crowden Tower, then skirted the southern edge of Kinder Scout around to The
Nab. (Stopped on the way for lunch, having found a sheltered spot amongst
the gritstone rocks before Upper Tor.) From The Nab, we dropped down west
and returned to the campsite ................ with a rather tired Jamie! It
wasn't long before he was in his tent, while I enjoy a couple of hours in
the sun. Another meal at the tent that evening, then into the Old Nags Head
for a couple of ales.

Not as much wind through Tuesday night, and again woke up to blue sky with
marching white clouds from the northeast. Jamie wasn't up for walking, so a
lazy start to the day before packing up and departing for our return
Barnsley at midday. Short but a rather pleasant 2 days camping and walking.
Spent the night with my older sun near Rotherham, returning back south on
Thursday.

A selection of photos from the 2 days at the address below.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
'Mountains or Mole Hills, summiting

Old May 17th 08, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Lawrence

On Fri, 16 May 2008, sandy saunders wrote:

A selection of photos from the 2 days at the address below.

Thanks for the photos - looked like nice walks and good weather for
them. I always find there's not too much too look at around there (with
exceptions) but still seem to go there a lot to walk. There's the whole
other side of the Peaks that I've never even been to. This year I plan
to explore them a bit further afield.

--
Chris

My first visit to the gym, how did I do? [email protected] Weights 39 March 17th 07 12:27 AM
Lose Hill / Ward's Piece (Peak District: Hope/Edale) Allan Gould Walking in the UK 2 August 21st 06 01:25 PM
Edale routes? Dan Walking in the UK 6 August 2nd 06 09:56 PM
Edale Campsite:: Fieldhead campsite Andy Howell Walking in the UK 5 November 6th 04 11:41 AM
Edale Campsite Andy Howell Walking in the UK 11 October 19th 04 12:27 AM