Help with a calculation please

Old May 11th 04, 05:21 AM
Steven C

Default Help with a calculation please

Hello,

I purchased some Ardex F Isolated Soy Protein Powder today in bulk, but i am
having trouble understanding the tech sheet that they provide when you
purcahse it.

I know that there is a calculation for this sort of thing to find out the
ammount of protein in grams, however all i have is the percentaof protein.

Well, here is the info i have:

Calories = 350/100g
Carbs = 2.5% or less
Protein = 91.5%
Fat = .5%

There are tons of other info, but it is still like PH, Ash, Fiber, things
that i dont really care too much about, i just want to know the actual GRAMS
of fat, protein, and carbs, etc.

How can i calculate this.
I checked the companies website out, and its all the same tech info, not a
regular nutritional info...

If someone can show me the method, i can learn it myself. That would be
great.

Thanks.

Old May 11th 04, 05:26 AM
Bruce

In misc.fitness.weights
"Steven C" wrote:

Calories = 350/100g
Carbs = 2.5% or less
Protein = 91.5%
Fat = .5%

How can i calculate this.
I checked the companies website out, and its all the same tech info, not a
regular nutritional info...

Dood, it really doesn't get any easier than this one. You have 100 grams
and they give you percentages. You can do that in your head:

95.5% of 100g = 91.5g
2.5% of 100g = 2.5g
..5% of 100g = .5g

You want calories, it is a tiny bit tougher.

91.5% * 350 = 320.25 cals protein
2.5% * 350 = 6.57 cals carbs
..5% * 350 = 1.75 cals fat

Old May 11th 04, 05:38 AM
Steven C

"Bruce" wrote in message
In misc.fitness.weights
"Steven C" wrote:

Calories = 350/100g
Carbs = 2.5% or less
Protein = 91.5%
Fat = .5%

How can i calculate this.
I checked the companies website out, and its all the same tech info, not

regular nutritional info...

Dood, it really doesn't get any easier than this one. You have 100 grams
and they give you percentages. You can do that in your head:

95.5% of 100g = 91.5g
2.5% of 100g = 2.5g
.5% of 100g = .5g

You want calories, it is a tiny bit tougher.

91.5% * 350 = 320.25 cals protein
2.5% * 350 = 6.57 cals carbs
.5% * 350 = 1.75 cals fat

No, i just wanted the gram measurements (for obvious reasons), and for some
reason i wasnt thinking it out properly.
Thanks alot for the refresher, i was looking at the 350 kcal number, not the
100g serving measurement.

Pretty silly of me, but thanks again.

Old May 11th 04, 05:49 AM
Lee Michaels

"Steven C" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

You are one of those guys who did not do well with word math problems,
aren't you??

Or you are a troll.

On the off hand chance that you are just profoundly math challenged, let us
examine the information that you gave us.

First is this tidbit.

Calories = 350/100g

This means that there are 350 calories per one hundred grams of product.
Now there has to be some kind of indication as to how much product is in the
container or per serving.

OK, let us look at the other numbers.

Carbs = 2.5% or less
Protein = 91.5%
Fat = .5%

These numbers are based on the first number (Calories = 350/100g). This
means that for each hundred grams of product (very roughly three ounces),
Protein is 91.5% of 100 grams. let us do the math.

91.5 X 100 = 91.5!!!!!

Got it?? 91.5% of 100 grams is in fact 91.5 grams.

And using the exact same magical secret pretien conversion formula above, we
can also surmise there are 2.5 grams of carbs per 100 grams of product. We
can also deduct that there is half a gram of fat per 100 grams of product.

It might help to know that grams are in fact a WEIGHT measure, similar to
ounces. Grams, of course, belong to the metric system.

You are welcome.

Does your mommy know that you are on usenet talking to bad men (and bad
women) in MFW?

Lee Michaels

Old May 11th 04, 06:10 AM
John M. Williams

"Steven C" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In misc.fitness.weights
"Steven C" wrote:

[...]

So was he. That's why his numbers are wrong. It's also why you may
want to mistrust the numbers on the label. Ask yourself this: if
carbohydrates and proteins are at about 4 Kcal/gram and fats are at
about 9 Kcal/gram, how do they come up with the 350 Kcal per 100
grams, even after considering the 5.5% "ash"?
Old May 11th 04, 07:00 AM
Steven C

"John M. Williams" wrote in message
"Steven C" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In misc.fitness.weights
"Steven C" wrote:

[...]

Hm.
Here is the complete tech information that the health food store provided me
with:

Calories = 350/100g
Carbohydrate = 2.5% or less
Protein = 91.5%
Moisture = 6.0%
Fat = 0.5%
Ash = 4.5%
Fiber = 0.5%
PH = 7.0%
Phosphorus = 0.743%
Iron = 0.15%
Magneium = 0.035%
Heavy Metals (as lead) = 0.0005%
Sodium = 1.184%
Potassium = 0.084%
Calcium = 0.151%

I have noticed as well that the online info and the printed info i recieved
differ, for example the online info states 90% protein, and this info 91%
protein.

My main concern (i am a begginer, and am just looking for a little more
inexpensive protein source) is to get this relatively straightened out
before i start taking it more or less. If it was off by 1 or 2 g, that
wouldnt be the worst thing ever, since i am not relying on this as a main
protein source, just as a little booster if i find i am lacking a few g
protein at the end of the day. I get most my protein from full sources of
animal or dairy.

Old May 11th 04, 07:22 AM
Proton Soup

Something tells me you're not a real dokter, real_doktersteve.

On Tue, 11 May 2004 04:21:28 GMT, "Steven C"
wrote:

[...]

-----------
Proton Soup

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep
the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be
led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins."
- - H.L. Mencken
Old May 11th 04, 08:11 AM
Steven C

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s04...

"Steven C" wrote in message
[...]

Everyone is a troll.
Welcome to the internet, where you are guilty before being proven innocent.

Thanks for the rest of the info, but i could have done without the
accusation.
I am obviously not a troll, and as a matter of fact, i did not do all that
well in math. I was only an arts and literature person.

Old May 11th 04, 08:12 AM
Steven C

Proton Soup wrote in message
s.com...

Something tells me you're not a real dokter, real_doktersteve.

Something tells me you arent a bowl of soup posting on usenet, Proton Soup
;-)