Where was the oldest, crappiest gym you ever used?

Old December 9th 03, 07:50 PM
Bluesman

Default Where was the oldest, crappiest gym you ever used?

I recently spoke to a buddy of mine who I worked out with - and he
reminded me of the YMCA that we used to use in the middle of the
combat zone in Boston. The weight room had stuff from the 1800's -
manhole covers with holes in them for wieght, wooden contraptions with
rope used for cables, boiling hot pipes all over the room because the
room was in the basement, a real horror show - a wonder no one was
killed.

There was also this toilet back about 15 years ago in Cambridge called
USA fitness or something that was so hot that even in the winter ALL
the mirrors were steamed and all of the rubber flooring sweated
mouisture. That was the only place I ever failed a squat lift - I
lost 315 in the squat rack, I think from being delirious in the 120
degree heat with 100% humidity. The tings you do when you are young
don't have enough cash to join a real gym...

Man do I like my home gym...

So how about it?

Bluesman
Old December 9th 03, 08:17 PM
Lee Michaels

"Bluesman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I knew a guy on a farm who had to compete with the calves for the use of his
barn gym. They would often butt him with their heads while he was trying to
workout.

Old December 9th 03, 10:09 PM
Randy Shrader

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s01...

"Bluesman" wrote in message
m...
[...]

When I was about 12, my parents wouldn't spend money on weights until I
proved I was serious about working out. So I worked out for a few months
using an L-shaped wooden bench, and a pry bar with a section of log stuck on
each end.

I also had to use my father's baseball glove for school intramurals. Never
mind that we played softball and the pocket was too small, and I was a lefty
and he wasn't.

Randy
my shrink didn't believe it at first, either

Old December 9th 03, 10:58 PM
John M. Williams

"Randy Shrader" wrote:

When I was about 12, my parents wouldn't spend money on weights until I
proved I was serious about working out. So I worked out for a few months
using an L-shaped wooden bench, and a pry bar with a section of log stuck

on
each end.

I also had to use my father's baseball glove for school intramurals.

Never
mind that we played softball and the pocket was too small, and I was a

lefty
and he wasn't.

Are you related to Kenny on "South Park"?

Old December 9th 03, 11:36 PM
Randy Shrader

"John M. Williams" wrote in message
"Randy Shrader" wrote:

When I was about 12, my parents wouldn't spend money on weights until I
proved I was serious about working out. So I worked out for a few

months
using an L-shaped wooden bench, and a pry bar with a section of log

stuck
on
each end.

I also had to use my father's baseball glove for school intramurals.

Never
mind that we played softball and the pocket was too small, and I was a

lefty
and he wasn't.

Are you related to Kenny on "South Park"?

He's my rich 'merican cousin.

Randy

Old December 10th 03, 12:04 AM
Lucas Buck

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:17:05 GMT, "Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Bluesman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

He should have moved the calf training to the beginning of the workout.

Old December 10th 03, 12:09 AM
David Cohen

"Lucas Buck" wrote
"Lee Michaels" wrote:
I knew a guy on a farm who had to compete with the calves for the

use of his
barn gym. They would often butt him with their heads while he was

trying to
workout.

He should have moved the calf training to the beginning of the

workout.

That's what Milo would have done.

Old December 10th 03, 01:18 AM
Dally

In high school in the late 70's there was a little pit of a room off of
the boy's locker-room with an overhead cable machine (with a chain on
it, as I recall) and some really grody benches and some pre-made-up
dumbbells. Our "trainer" was a 19 year old drop-out who had discovered
steroids and thought he knew how to lift. He was dumb as dirt but he
got to screw all us athletic chicks. (Hey, he had GREAT pecs.)

I still remember the smell of the boy's locker-room and how we had to be
escorted through it to get to the weight room.

-- Dally

Old December 10th 03, 01:43 AM
August Pamplona

"Randy Shrader" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"John M. Williams" wrote in

message
"Randy Shrader" wrote:

When I was about 12, my parents wouldn't spend money on weights

until I
proved I was serious about working out. So I worked out for a few

months
using an L-shaped wooden bench, and a pry bar with a section of

log
stuck
on
each end.

I also had to use my father's baseball glove for school

intramurals.
Never
mind that we played softball and the pocket was too small, and I

was a
lefty
and he wasn't.

Are you related to Kenny on "South Park"?

He's my rich 'merican cousin.

Randy

They killed Kenny, you know.

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'