vascularity with 10 (or fewer) rep sets?

Old August 20th 04, 03:35 PM
js

Default vascularity with 10 (or fewer) rep sets?

anyone here experience increases in "vascularity" using moderate (say 6-10)
rep sets? i've gotten significantly bigger using 8 rep sets, but without
any apparent increase in vascularity. recently, however, periodizaing 12
rep sets into my program, i see an increase in vascularity, but i would
like to use a higher intensity - like no lower than 10 rep max.

i googled the group. i also serached pubmed, but that word is not
mentioned in the abstracts, nor is vascular density. apparently not noted
in the research at this time

thx
Old August 20th 04, 03:42 PM
Mistress Krista

"js" wrote in message
anyone here experience increases in "vascularity" using moderate (say

6-10)
rep sets? i've gotten significantly bigger using 8 rep sets, but without
any apparent increase in vascularity. recently, however, periodizaing 12
rep sets into my program, i see an increase in vascularity, but i would
like to use a higher intensity - like no lower than 10 rep max.

i googled the group. i also serached pubmed, but that word is not
mentioned in the abstracts, nor is vascular density. apparently not noted
in the research at this time

Are you talking about the visibility of veins near the surface of the skin?
Because if you are, that's largely a function of your bodyfat levels.

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

Old August 20th 04, 03:47 PM
Lyle McDonald

Mistress Krista wrote:

"js" wrote in message

anyone here experience increases in "vascularity" using moderate (say

6-10)

rep sets? i've gotten significantly bigger using 8 rep sets, but without
any apparent increase in vascularity. recently, however, periodizaing 12
rep sets into my program, i see an increase in vascularity, but i would
like to use a higher intensity - like no lower than 10 rep max.

i googled the group. i also serached pubmed, but that word is not
mentioned in the abstracts, nor is vascular density. apparently not noted
in the research at this time

Are you talking about the visibility of veins near the surface of the skin?
Because if you are, that's largely a function of your bodyfat levels.

Blood volume and pump (the latter would be higher with the 12's) affect
this as well.

Lyle

Old August 20th 04, 03:50 PM
Mistress Krista

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message
Mistress Krista wrote:

"js" wrote in message

[...]

Also a response to the heat. In summer, my forearms look like a road map.
Cool!

Krista

Old August 20th 04, 04:05 PM
js

Lyle McDonald wrote in
:

Mistress Krista wrote:

"js" wrote in message

[...]

this is kinda what i'm getting at. from my uneducated perspective, the
increased buildup of waste products from the higher # of reps forces the
body to adapt by increasing the size of the blood vessels (as well as
capillary density?) to accomodate clearing the waste products. so, given
no difference in body fat, the 12s work better for this than the 8s.

basically, just trying to get a good compromise between size, strength,
and vascularity. wasn't sure how good the 12s were for size or strength,
so i wanted to see if anyone has gotten blazing vascularity from 10s.
10s seem to be right in the middle of poliquin's 8-12 rep band for
"optimal" hypertrophy gains

Old August 20th 04, 04:28 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2004-08-20, js wrote:

this is kinda what i'm getting at. from my uneducated perspective, the
increased buildup of waste products from the higher # of reps forces the
body to adapt by increasing the size of the blood vessels (as well as
capillary density?) to accomodate clearing the waste products. so, given
no difference in body fat, the 12s work better for this than the 8s.

basically, just trying to get a good compromise between size, strength,
and vascularity. wasn't sure how good the 12s were for size or strength,
so i wanted to see if anyone has gotten blazing vascularity from 10s.

I think you'll find more people have "gotten blazing vascularity" from reducing
body fat. Endurance athletes like Lance Armstrong have "blazing vascularity",
and it has absolutely nothing to do with weight training.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old August 20th 04, 05:13 PM
Lyle McDonald

js wrote:

Lyle McDonald wrote in
:

Mistress Krista wrote:

"js" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

you are confused about what capillaries are and what capillary density is.

cApillaries are tiny tiny tiny blood vessels surrounding the muscle,
they aren't visible.

You are talking about superficial veins that are near the skin.

completely different things.

Lyle

Old August 20th 04, 05:14 PM
Lyle McDonald

On 2004-08-20, js wrote:

this is kinda what i'm getting at. from my uneducated perspective, the
increased buildup of waste products from the higher # of reps forces the
body to adapt by increasing the size of the blood vessels (as well as
capillary density?) to accomodate clearing the waste products. so, given
no difference in body fat, the 12s work better for this than the 8s.

basically, just trying to get a good compromise between size, strength,
and vascularity. wasn't sure how good the 12s were for size or strength,
so i wanted to see if anyone has gotten blazing vascularity from 10s.

I think you'll find more people have "gotten blazing vascularity" from reducing
body fat. Endurance athletes like Lance Armstrong have "blazing vascularity",

My legs have some freaky ass veins right now. It's a combo of low
bodyfat and good blood volume.

Lyle

Old August 20th 04, 07:04 PM
js

Lyle McDonald wrote in
:

js wrote:

Lyle McDonald wrote in
:

Mistress Krista wrote:

"js" wrote in message

[...]

no, i am talking about both capillary density and vascularity.
supposedly, both are significantly improved by moderate volume (6-8
sets) using higher-rep (12+) sets and moderate (70-85% of one rep max)
intensity. agree? disagree?

thanks for your time

Old August 20th 04, 07:27 PM
Bob MacWilliam

Mistress Krista wrote:

"js" wrote in message

anyone here experience increases in "vascularity" using moderate (say

6-10)

rep sets? i've gotten significantly bigger using 8 rep sets, but without
any apparent increase in vascularity. recently, however, periodizaing 12
rep sets into my program, i see an increase in vascularity, but i would
like to use a higher intensity - like no lower than 10 rep max.

i googled the group. i also serached pubmed, but that word is not
mentioned in the abstracts, nor is vascular density. apparently not noted
in the research at this time

Are you talking about the visibility of veins near the surface of the skin?
Because if you are, that's largely a function of your bodyfat levels.

Blood volume and pump (the latter would be higher with the 12's) affect
this as well.

Lyle

I was wondering the same thing a while back as well. Whether higher
volume, lower intensity over the long term may increase vascularity
independent of the obvious visual effect that bodyfat levels have.
Would this mean that you could devise a vascularity-training component
into your workouts? Maybe, I don't know for sure. Anecdotally, it
seems the older bb'ers have better vascularity on the whole, maybe due
to the long-term effect that training has in this area.

I think that capillary density does increase with endurance-range long
term training. How much effect this would have visually I have no
idea. As Lyle wrote, blood volume and pump very clearly have large
effects too as does temperature. So does position. Veins are popping
out of my arms in every direction right now, yet when I raise them
above my head - gone!

Bodyfat is of course important too. I'm getting close to another
contest and I see new veins every day.

Bob

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
weight training routine that I found; need someone to look it over, please. LovingPerson Weights 5 February 28th 04 10:00 PM
HELP!!!!! G P Thibault Aerobic 26 September 16th 03 10:13 PM
HELP!!!!! G P Thibault General 25 September 16th 03 10:13 PM
HELP!!!!! G P Thibault Weights 24 September 16th 03 09:45 PM