Canon EOS 300D

Old October 14th 03, 12:59 AM
Paul Saunders

Default Canon EOS 300D

I had a look and a feel of this camera in Jessops today, and I must say
that it's got a really good solid feel to it, but at the same time is
surprisingly light. I didn't weight it, but it seemed to be no heavier
(or bulkier) than my G3 with the wide angle converter (the converter
does add a lot of weight).

Also, the lens has real focusing which you can see through the real SLR
viewfinder. I knew this anyway, but now I've seen it for myself and I
can't wait to start doing real focusing again instead of this stupid G3
digital focusing (that's the worst thing about digital compacts IMO).

Now I really can't wait to get one.

Paul
--
The October Project 2003
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october.html

Old October 14th 03, 01:29 AM
ste

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
| I had a look and a feel of this camera in Jessops today, and I must say
| that it's got a really good solid feel to it, but at the same time is
| surprisingly light. I didn't weight it, but it seemed to be no heavier
| (or bulkier) than my G3 with the wide angle converter (the converter
| does add a lot of weight).
|
| Also, the lens has real focusing which you can see through the real SLR
| viewfinder. I knew this anyway, but now I've seen it for myself and I
| can't wait to start doing real focusing again instead of this stupid G3
| digital focusing (that's the worst thing about digital compacts IMO).
|
| Now I really can't wait to get one.
|
| Paul

Hi Paul,

I take it the film scanner and car can now wait? )

I half-wish that I'd just bought the EOS 10D instead of the G5. After I've
bought my camera, the lens adaptors, the teleconverters, the 50mm lens, the
filters etc, it's probably not that much short of 1250, and certainly not
that much short (if any!) of the 300D! :-s But at the time, it was just a
cost thing at the time, as I couldn't afford 1250 body only, and have to
fork out for a lens too. Ahh well, there's always the EOS 20D! )

I'm going along to my local photography society next week as they've got an
open day. I've never looked through a SLR, so I'll see if I can pick one up
and have a look (without them thinking I'm about to run off with it!). Are
you in any camera clubs or anything like that? Also, have you ever had any
work published?

Regards,

Stephen

Old October 14th 03, 03:38 AM
Paul Saunders

ste wrote:

Now I really can't wait to get one.

I take it the film scanner and car can now wait? )

I don't know, I'm really tempted. The pro scanner is pretty vital for
scanning my existing photographs but I should be able to take highly
sellable photographs with the 300D too. Hard choice.

Best option is to start selling lots of photos and buy them both! ;-)

I half-wish that I'd just bought the EOS 10D

Really? I'm not sure why so many people still fancy the 10D over the
300D. Yes it's a better camera, but by the time you buy a lens to go
with it the total cost is going to be practically double, and there's no
way that it's twice as good as the 300D, I'd say perhaps only 10%
better, and that's only in terms of extra features, there's no benefit
in picture quality.

And from a walker's perspective, there's the all important weight issue.
Yes the 10D is more solid, but do you really want to carry all that
extra weight up a mountain? Having seen the 300d for myself I can
assure you that even though it's plastic, it's not cheap plastic, and
the light weight is a *major* benefit for walkers IMO. I probably
forgot to mention also that the lens that's bundled with it is
surprisingly small too, much smaller (and lighter) than an equivalent
lens that you'd have to buy for the 10D.

Ahh well, there's always the EOS 20D! )

Is that a joke or does it really exist?

Are you in any camera clubs or anything like that?

No, they never appealed to me, being a bit of a loner that way (and
dedicated specifically to landscapes, which is not how camera clubs
operate). I was also not impressed by the "camera club mentality" of
people I've met who were in them, but perhaps I just met the wrong
people. I got the impression that there's a lot of equipment envy in
these clubs, and the guy with the Hasselblad tends to win all the photo
competitions. ;-)

Also, have you ever had any work published?

I had some shots of Devon and Cornwall published as postcards many years
ago.

Paul

Old October 14th 03, 04:19 AM
Paul Saunders

Chris Street wrote:

and the guy with the Hasselblad tends to win all the
photo competitions. ;-)

You must be joking.

Actually no. I have a friend who used to be in one and he used to get
****ed off at the fact that the members with the most expensive cameras
tended to win most of the competitions. "It was taken with a Hasselblad
so it must be good".

I took second with my K1000 images and the winner
used the most broken down and disreputable looking Oly I've ever seen.
That is till I saw yours of course...:-)

If you mean my OM3 then I'd agree. That is a sad case. Brilliant
camera but I've just worn it out over about 15 years use. Last time I
looked they were charging 1600 for a new one.

I've no doubt there is equipment envy in some but I've not seen it im
my club. Only problem is that I'm about thirty years younger than the
next youngest members. Fungii feature highly in our club - they don't
run away you see....:-)

Ah, fungi, now that's a suitable assignment for a photo competition at
this time of year!

Paul

Old October 14th 03, 12:54 PM
ste

"Chris Street" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:29:30 GMT, "ste " wrote:

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
| I had a look and a feel of this camera in Jessops today, and I must say
| that it's got a really good solid feel to it, but at the same time is
| surprisingly light. I didn't weight it, but it seemed to be no heavier
| (or bulkier) than my G3 with the wide angle converter (the converter
| does add a lot of weight).
|
| Also, the lens has real focusing which you can see through the real SLR
| viewfinder. I knew this anyway, but now I've seen it for myself and I
| can't wait to start doing real focusing again instead of this stupid G3
| digital focusing (that's the worst thing about digital compacts IMO).
|
| Now I really can't wait to get one.
|
| Paul

Hi Paul,

I take it the film scanner and car can now wait? )

I half-wish that I'd just bought the EOS 10D instead of the G5. After

I've
bought my camera, the lens adaptors, the teleconverters, the 50mm lens,

the
filters etc, it's probably not that much short of 1250, and certainly

not
that much short (if any!) of the 300D! :-s But at the time, it was just

cost thing at the time, as I couldn't afford 1250 body only, and have to
fork out for a lens too. Ahh well, there's always the EOS 20D! )

I'm going along to my local photography society next week as they've got

an
open day. I've never looked through a SLR, so I'll see if I can pick one

up
and have a look (without them thinking I'm about to run off with it!).

Are
you in any camera clubs or anything like that? Also, have you ever had

any
work published?

Hmmm. I'd be sorely tempted to tell you to go and play with a K1000 and
a 50mm SMC lens for a few weeks first if you've never used an SLR.
Trouble is, finding a K1000 in this day and age is nigh on
impossible....

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Chris, I'd never buy a film camera myself (I wouldn't even take photos if
it weren't for digital, I don't think...), but it would be nice to have a
proper look at a SLR, just so that I'm not so ignorant! I'm always coming
across Pentax K1000 cameras on eBay, for example:

I often go on eBay because I'm trying to get hold of a second hand Pentax
50mm 1.1.2 lens. These lenses seem to be rare on eBay, and go for quite a
lot of money when they are available (so I doubt I'll get one). :-(
Anyway, when searching for these lenses, these K1000's popping up in my
search results! ;o)

Regards,

Stephen

Old October 14th 03, 05:57 PM
Dave Newton

I half-wish that I'd just bought the EOS 10D instead of the G5. After

I've
bought my camera, the lens adaptors, the teleconverters, the 50mm lens,

the
filters etc, it's probably not that much short of 1250, and certainly not
that much short (if any!) of the 300D! :-s

I'm going along to my local photography society next week as they've got

an
open day. I've never looked through a SLR, so I'll see if I can pick one

up
and have a look (without them thinking I'm about to run off with it!).

Are
you in any camera clubs or anything like that? Also, have you ever had

any
work published?

The 300 is a fine camera - but I have this anxiety about anything described
as a 'cut-down version of....'. I know it's a heavy grade plastic over a
magnesium alloy chassis but I still prefer the grown-up brother, the 10D.
Having said that I'm not in the market for either. Up until last week when I
had a play with the 10D and a range of lenses I had it in mind that about
March next year I might think about switching to the Nikon D100 but, as you
quite rightly say Paul, the weight of these cameras is a huge issue for
walkers. There is no way I could consider carrying a DSLR kit on the tops. I
think they are for lay-by shooting! I'll stick with my 5700 - for now.

As for camera clubs, I've been a member of ADAPS (
http://www.adaps.org.uk/ ) for 18 months now and it's excellent company!
There is no one-upmanship whatsoever and everyone there is more than willing
to help anyone else. Perhaps this club is a one off, I don't know. There is
no way the judge should be able to know what equipment was used to take what
image either. All judges in this area for all club competitions (monthly,
annual and thematic) are 'independent' drawn from the Lancashire and
Cheshire Photographic Union doing a circuit around the various clubs for
judging purposes. All the exhibitor is allowed to put on the back of the
mounted image is his name, the title and the name of the club so the judge
won't know what equipment was used unless he knows the photographer. Yes, I
see the built-in flaw in the plan, that's why I used inverted commas around
the word independent, but I've seen no evidence whatsoever of any
favouritism and I actually won my first competition a couple of months ago!
Great fun, and it gives you a chance to see what other photographers are
doing (I'm the only one doing landscape to any degree in ADAPS) and allows
you to measure your work by their standards.

--
Dave Newton

Lake District Walk&Photo web site
http://www.daves-lakeland-mountains.co.uk

Old October 14th 03, 07:34 PM
david hill

Dave Newton writes

The 300 is a fine camera - but I have this anxiety about anything described
as a 'cut-down version of....'. I know it's a heavy grade plastic over a
magnesium alloy chassis but I still prefer the grown-up brother, the 10D.
Having said that I'm not in the market for either. Up until last week when I
had a play with the 10D and a range of lenses I had it in mind that about
March next year I might think about switching to the Nikon D100 but, as you
quite rightly say Paul, the weight of these cameras is a huge issue for
walkers. There is no way I could consider carrying a DSLR kit on the tops. I
think they are for lay-by shooting! I'll stick with my 5700 - for now.

Well I have been out walking with a D30 having a 24-70 mm lens attached
and a 70-200mm lens as an extra. The later lens weighs the proverbial
ton.
Fit the items into a day rucksac with extras such as fluid and overgear.
Though I do confess the 70-200 is not much good for landscapes in the
main.
One could take a punt on buying a D30 used or a D60 used lot cheaper
than the 300D but its knowing the history that counts.
--
david hill
Old October 14th 03, 09:32 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Paul Saunders
writes
And from a walker's perspective, there's the all important weight issue.
Yes the 10D is more solid, but do you really want to carry all that
extra weight up a mountain?

Get you're priorities right Paul !

1) Are you a hillwalker who takes photos, in which case is it the walk
that's more important, or

2) Are you a photographer who wants to sell photos, in which case the
picture taking should be more important that the walk.

I submit this as a bit of an explanation of the above.........

For some "classic" photos, you might well find yourself "stuck" in one
place waiting for that elusive bit of sunshine in order to capture the
"perfect" picture. This is where the photography takes over from the
walking.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 14th 03, 09:35 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Chris Street
writes
I've no doubt there is equipment envy in some but I've not seen it im my
club. Only problem is that I'm about thirty years younger than the next
youngest members. Fungii feature highly in our club - they don't run
away you see....:-)

Fungii are OK as long as they're the ones that are stuck on trees about
six feet above the ground. Bending to take shots of mushrooms etc can be
a bit of a bind for the arthritic members :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 14th 03, 09:44 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Dave Newton
writes
As for camera clubs, I've been a member of ADAPS (
http://www.adaps.org.uk/ ) for 18 months now and it's excellent company!
There is no one-upmanship whatsoever and everyone there is more than willing
to help anyone else. Perhaps this club is a one off, I don't know.

Many years ago I formed a camera club and was knobbled for the
secretary's job for my labours! We had numerous novices - total
beginners even- together with three or four "experienced" photographers.
After a settling down period in the clubs formation, we started to hold
monthly competitions. It was too obvious that things were a bit one
sided and some of the novices just didn't stand a chance. rather than
lose members who might become dejected, we introduced a handicap system.
This worked very well and brought in a much better sense of competition
and humour into proceedings. Oh yes! one member did own a Hasselblad and
another a Mamyia MF camera. Both were very good photographers. I just
plodded on with my Canon A1 - which I still have. FD lenses are hard to
come by nowadays.

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk