add weights?

Old July 12th 03, 03:55 AM
Beverly

Default add weights?

"rosie readandpost" wrote in message
does anyone here add weights to their walk?
what and how?

--

I don't carry them when I walk outside but I often pump 5lb weights when I'm
walking on the treadmill. I just pump them over my head to get the heart

Beverly

read and post daily, it works!
rosie

ever wonder if we would care more about each other if we realized how much

we have in common?
.............................R. Nagy

Old July 12th 03, 04:20 PM
rosie readandpost

thanks bev!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

say the best...... think the rest.
.........................c. seibold

Old July 14th 03, 03:23 AM
SPeacock

rosie readandpost wrote:

does anyone here add weights to their walk?
what and how?

Don't add weights to the ankles or legs. It throws off your gait and puts stress on the lower
extremities as well as on your lower back.

If you want to carry a little extra, there are weight belts. Don't over load them as they do
become uncomfortable. There are also weight vests.

One or two pound dumbbells in your hands are a nice start. You can do sets of at least 5
different arm and upper body exercises. Best to start out with a jug of water that has a
comfortable grip. You can always drain out some if it is too heavy.

Backpackers routinely carry extra weight in a WELL FITTED backpack (includes padded shoulders and
waist suspension) as they get into shape for the coming season or a special event. Some carry as
much as 60 pounds (and sometimes more) and even drag a weighted tire behind on a rope.

Any weight is best carried either near the center of gravity (waist) or in a backpack or vest.
Start out with just a few pounds. If you have a pack, water in liter bottles works well to
start. If you pack too much, either drink it or help out some tree. Other wise, kitty litter is
cheap and a 1 gallon zip lock freezer bag is about 5lb. Add 5lb about every two weeks - if you
are walking daily.

Old July 14th 03, 05:10 AM
bj

For more informal "weight work" while walking, carry your groceries home in
a backpack.

I did this for many years. I still do sometimes (if all I'm doing is going
to the store & back), and often use a backpack while doing general shopping
as well.

Also, when I was a student (graduate, in math -- _heavy_ books!, middle
aged), I often walked to/from school with _full_ backpack.
bj

Old July 14th 03, 04:59 PM
rosie readandpost

wow, you have this down to a science!
i knew i would get answers here!
thanks to all of you!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

never let yesterday use up too much of today.