increasing heel mileage

Old July 11th 03, 03:55 AM
Stephen Throop

Default increasing heel mileage

I have a pair of New Balance 805s which I find comfortable for walks of
several miles. After 700 miles they are holding up well except for a
concave area on one heel. I think the tough outer layer of rubber has
worn through and the underlying rubber is wearing faster.

Are there similar shoes with longer-wearing heels? At one time, metal
or rubber taps were used to keep heels from wearing out. Are similar
devices available nowadays?
Old July 12th 03, 12:25 PM
Alan Douglas

Hi,
Stephen wrote:

I have a pair of New Balance 805s which I find comfortable for walks of
several miles. After 700 miles they are holding up well except for a
concave area on one heel. I think the tough outer layer of rubber has
worn through and the underlying rubber is wearing faster.

Are there similar shoes with longer-wearing heels? At one time, metal
or rubber taps were used to keep heels from wearing out. Are similar
devices available nowadays?

You can replace the missing rubber with urethane boat caulk,
specifically 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. This stuff wears like
iron. I've built up the worn heels on a cheap pair of walking shoes
several times, and probably have 1000 miles on them now.

I think this stuff is available in smaller squeeze tubes, though I
use caulking-gun cartridges left over from other jobs. Once they're
opened, the shelf life is very limited, as the urethane reacts with
moisture in the air (that's what causes it to set). It can be very
messy to work with: the raw urethane sticks to everything and can't be
removed from clothing. But it sure works.

Cheers, Alan
Old July 13th 03, 06:32 PM
Alan Douglas

Hi,

The regular 5200 takes a week to cure. Do you recommend it or the
fast-cure 5200?

I didn't know it came in two types. The regular stuff doesn't take
a week around here (Cape Cod, Massachusetts) but you can speed it up
by putting it in a plastic bag with a damp rag. Depends on the
thickness too.

I've kept the cauking tubes working for a couple of months by
sealing the tip with a nail of just the right size. Or you can
puncture the middle of the tube and squeeze some out there, for a
last-ditch effort. But eventually it will set up in the plunger end,
once you've broken that seal. I find that my repaired shoes last
several months (at 10-15 miles per week on paved roads) which is just
a little longer than the sealant will remain usable. But I have had a
continual supply of half-used tubes, where I work, so I've never had
to buy any. Unfortunately that project is ending.

I tried silicone caulk first, and that didn't stick at all, or wear
well.

Cheers, Alan