Early Bird catches the Inversion !

Old October 18th 03, 04:49 PM
Graham Ingram

Default Early Bird catches the Inversion !

Decided to take the short foray onto Meall an Fhudair as this
Saturdays short option. Parked opposite the farm and was walking up
the Hydro track just as day was breaking before 7:30 am. The mist was
low but with the forecast looking good I was hoping for an inversion
in the early part of the day. Made good time up the track and onto the
east ridge of Troisgeach and soon found myself in thick mist. The poor
visibility was certainly a challenge on this ridge as the number of
outcrops and knolls is huge. Approaching the top of the Troisgeach
ridge I sensed the lightening of the mist around me then stepped out
of the mist into clear blue skies and crystal visibility. Got some
great shots of the Crianlarich Munros poking through the cloud and
mist just as the sun was rising behind Ben More. Shot off most of a
complete film over the summit ridge of Troisgeach and on over Meall
nan Caora. By the time I reached the circular cairn of Meall an
Fhudair before 10 am the best of the inversion was going although some
mist did linger on. I then took the long descending traverse as
recommended in the Corbett book and arrived back at the car just after
11:15 am.

A brilliant short trip made better by the inversion and superb
visibility and quality of air.

--
Cheers
Graham

"Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"

284/284 65/219

Return email ~ REMOVE to reply