Sprinters running a mile...

Old August 19th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.running
F R

Default Sprinters running a mile...

Unless I missed it, one has to take into account that in a decathlon the
1500 comes at the end when the athletes are spent after 2 days and
perhaps 16 hours on the scene.

Surely, if a decathlete decided to run only a 1500 meter race, his time
(regardless of his decathlon PR would improve anywhere from 5-15 seconds
IMO.

When they run the 100 meters, they are fresh and their times are close
to their optimal potential. Not so in the 1500.

Old August 19th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.running
F R

Flo Jo was purportedly training for the '96 Olympics in the
marathon,although I couldn't find a one she ran in while googling.

Funny, but she never ran another sprint after her Olympic quadruple. In
the 4X400 she ran a leg in the low to mid 48s, much faster than the
Olympic 400 meter champ, and she never trained specifically for that
event.

While I have zero proof and I assume she passed the drug tests, I
believe 100% she was juiced.

Real conspiracy theorists claim she flunked her test at the Olympics,
but since she caused such a sensation, the officials decided to take a
pass, especially on the heels of Ben Johnson.

In return there was a supposed agreement she would never run a sprint
again.
What gives me pause is that she was very marketable after her wins and
unheard of times.
If she continued running and dominating even one more season, her
endorsements would have soared.

Old January 8th 18, 06:34 PM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

On Monday, August 16, 2010 at 1:07:45 PM UTC-4, Grokman Grokman wrote:
Awl --

100 m sprinters -- purely anaerobic, right?

Do you think any of them include distance running at all, for
"crosstraining" purposes? Distance = 1 mile.

Does anyone know what people capable of a 10 sec 100m would run a mile in?

How bout distance runners running the 100m?

Intuition tells me that milers, even marathoners, would do better in the
100m than 100 m people would do in a mile -- cuz, well, they are already
traversing 100 m. huyuk
. I don't think sprinters could even *complete* a marathon, proly not even
close.

If this is true, the vast asymmetry of the two camps is inneresting....

Opinions?

--
EA

Old January 8th 18, 06:41 PM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

I have been a nationally ranked age group sprinter for 40 years and can tell you the majority of top sprinters could run a mile but not @ national caliber and the reason is two fold; one, they would have to train over 20 miles per week and build up their aerobic capacity as the mile is 70% aerobic and 30% anaerobic, most can not or will not do that, second and more important is that sprinters have over 90% fast twitch fibers and this alone would prevent them from running a great mile. Just because one is a great sprinter does not mean they can just step on the track and run a great mile, it does not work that way.