Film of 36 Eiger North Wall Climb

Old May 5th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

Default Film of 36 Eiger North Wall Climb

A German film of Edi Ranier, Willy Angerer, Andreas Hinterstoisser,
Toni Kurz '36 climb of the Eiger North Wall has been released in UK

Nordwand (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/
Old May 5th 09, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Tue, 05 May 2009 14:38:52 -0700, wrote:

A German film of Edi Ranier, Willy Angerer, Andreas Hinterstoisser,
Toni Kurz '36 climb of the Eiger North Wall has been released in UK

Nordwand (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/

I should add that its called Noth Face in blighty
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Old May 5th 09, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

wrote in message
A German film of Edi Ranier, Willy Angerer, Andreas Hinterstoisser,
Toni Kurz '36 climb of the Eiger North Wall has been released in UK

Nordwand (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/

It's already been pirated and is around the usenet and torrent sites.

I haven't had time to watch it, but some of the scenes are stunning and a
bit more authenic then Sly in Cliffhanger. As it's a film with a story, not
a documentry, I'll watch it (might give a review if you want one) before
looking to buy the blu-ray as that'll be ...... amazing.

The Eric Jones documentry about his solo of the Eiger is also worth
watching.

Jhimmy

Old May 6th 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message ,
writes
wrote:

A German film of Edi Ranier, Willy Angerer, Andreas Hinterstoisser,
Toni Kurz '36 climb of the Eiger North Wall has been released in UK

Nordwand (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/

I should add that its called Noth Face in blighty
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...gw_s0_p74_i1?p
f_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0T53XH836EN3114R26JX&pf_r
d_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

That'll go nicely with the book on my bookshelf - The White Spider.
If it's as good as Touching The Void I'm up for it.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old May 7th 09, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

Default Film of 36 Eiger North Wall Climb Film review - SPOILER

wrote in message
A German film of Edi Ranier, Willy Angerer, Andreas Hinterstoisser,
Toni Kurz '36 climb of the Eiger North Wall has been released in UK

Nordwand (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/

Just finished watching the 2008 film Nordwand. Firstly it's in German as
it's a German film, I had the subtitles version. The film is a
representation of the failed 1936 attempt to climb the North face of the
Eiger. This is memorable as there's a photo of Toni Kurz hanging dead on the
"rescue" rope from many a book, most notable "the White Spider". Most of us
will know that all 4 climbers perished, but Kurz's death was agony.

The film has a storyline about Luise who's in love with Kurz, but he has
never recindered this back. They have known each other since childhood, and
now as she's a junior photo-journalist, she is asked to photgraph the
attempt on the North face of the Eiger.

The storyline is better then the average Hollywood movie. The climbing
actors are excellent and very believeable. Luise's charactor is weakly drawn
and and bit too shy. The scenes are either shot on the Eiger or in the bad
winter sectoins in a studio, but both are hugely entertaining.

The only real problem with his film is the portrial of the Austrians Edi
Rainer and Willy Angerer who seem so inferior to the German climbers Toni
Kurz and Andreas Hinterstoisser. It's a long time since I read the White
Spider, so this may be true or not. Also the Swiss guides trying to rescue
Kurz was more comic then drama, again not sure how true this was.

Overall a great film to watch. Well worth a DVD. 8 out of 10.

I still find the Eric Jone's solo climb of the Eiger Documentry the best of
the Eiger films.

Old May 16th 09, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
kimilseung[_2_]

The Eric Jones documentry about his solo of the Eiger is also worth
watching.

I enjoyed North Wall and Leo Dickinson/Eric Jones Eiger, which i have
just watched, thanks Jhimmy for oointing it out for me to go and hunt
down.
Old May 16th 09, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

"kimilseung" wrote in message

The Eric Jones documentry about his solo of the Eiger is also worth
watching.

I enjoyed North Wall and Leo Dickinson/Eric Jones Eiger, which i have
just watched, thanks Jhimmy for oointing it out for me to go and hunt
down.

I should also have mentioned Joe Simpson's "the beckoning silence" is also
available.

I didn't like John Harlin III Eiger promotional film, although I suppose it
was designed for IMAX.

Jhimmy