new gps

Old May 12th 09, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Default new gps

Martin Richardson wrote:

I save mine in MemoryMap - and then wonder why the map seems to be
covered in a spider's web.

You can show or hide each track you know, either individually or in a group.
Handy to categorise them accordingly so that you can different categories on
or off with a single click.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wilderness-images.co.uk

Old May 12th 09, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Phil Cook wrote:

I've got all my wanderings saved in Oziexplorer. Every once in a while
I open a map and load all the tracks to see where I have been.

Can you load them all at once?

Paul

Old May 12th 09, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

Paul Saunders wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:

I've got all my wanderings saved in Oziexplorer. Every once in a while
I open a map and load all the tracks to see where I have been.

Can you load them all at once?

Yes.

Load Track from file (Multi)

In the old days with a steam powered PC it could take a while to
redraw if you dragged the screen but they are all on there and
visible.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Sgurr na Banachdich
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old May 12th 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
Jhimmy wrote:

I'm still wondering why I keep tracks, I look at them once and never
view them again!

They can be useful for all sorts of things.

One is to check where you took a particular photograph.

If I remember to take a photo...I've probably less them a few dozen of all
the expeds I've been on.

Another is to check how long a certain walk took if you plan to do it
again.

Er, I will not be doing any of the Pennines, NYM, York dales, Cheviots
again.

Another is to check which way you went on the last walk in an area, so
that you can do a different variation on your next walk there.

As above, but then again as a solo walker, I'll change my route very quickly
if I see anything interesting.

Another is to study your distance and ascent timings to work out your own
variation on Naismith's Rule.

I'm not in a race, so not bothered about how long it takes. My timings on a
50k map, I place my fist down, with the first knuckle at the starting point
and if the route overlaps my entire fist, it's going to be a long un!

Another is to check exactly where you went during a peak bagging trip, to
be sure that you really did bag the summit!

Now, that is useful and I've used it a few times to confirm ;-)

Jhimmy

Old May 13th 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn

On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:29:04 +0100, Craig Wallace
wrote:

If you're not bothered about the sensors, why not look at the eTrex
Legend Hcx? Its a bit cheaper than the Vista Hcx.

Not a bad Idea I hadn't thought of that and now im going to have to
buy 2 because I promised my sister my old gps the basic legend but
three days ago the odometer read 315 miles after a walk I thought it
was a one off and today it said 850 miles. Having said that it is 6
years old so what do I expect. I can't really give that to my sister.
So watch this space I will get back as soon as I buy.
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying
Old May 18th 09, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn[_2_]

On Wed, 13 May 2009 18:14:13 +0100, Gwyn [email protected] wrote:

Not a bad Idea I hadn't thought of that and now im going to have to
buy 2 because I promised my sister my old gps the basic legend but
three days ago the odometer read 315 miles after a walk I thought it
was a one off and today it said 850 miles. Having said that it is 6
years old so what do I expect. I can't really give that to my sister.
So watch this space I will get back as soon as I buy.

Right I bought a etrex legend hcx from expansys for 138 inc delivery
I have left off buying 2 for the time being and will report usage as
soon as I get it and try it in the field.
Old May 18th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike Clark

In message
"Paul Saunders" wrote:

Mike Clark wrote:

Each time you switch the unit on the auto-calibration starts off by
assuming the last saved manual calibration result. Thus if you haven't
recently manually calibrated the device, and also if that last manual
calibration is very different from current ambient results, you'll end
up with the initial readings being miscalculated. It may take 30
minutes or more for the autocalibration to adjust to the current
ambient conditions and if you then switch the unit off and on again
that auto-recalibraion is lost and restarts all over again.

So don't switch it off! Not usually necessary during a walk since GPS
batteries tend to last a long time these days.

When I used my Geko 301 for multi-day ski-touring I used to conserve the
batteries by switching the unit off when not needed. The combination of
cold temperatures and AAA cells meant that battery life was limited.
It's less of a problem with the Vista Hcx but then the weight is higher
than for the Geko.

When camping, mark a waypoint before you switch it off, to record the
elevation. Next day when you switch it on, you can recalibrate to the
same elevation.

Agreed.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,