Military GPS jamming will affect walkers in mid Wales

Old May 29th 09, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

Default Military GPS jamming will affect walkers in mid Wales

Just for your info, those who walk in mid Wales.

http://www.grough.co.uk/view/2009/05...ffect-walkers/

Other then the article, I know nowt about the area ;-)

Jhimmy

Old May 29th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike Clark

In message you wrote:

Just for your info, those who walk in mid Wales.

http://www.grough.co.uk/view/2009/05...ffect-walkers/

Other then the article, I know nowt about the area ;-)

Jhimmy

I remember going for a walk in the forest near Mildenhall when there was
a lot of military activity, transporter plans landing in convey every
few minutes, and my GPS refused to lock on to any satellites or give me
a reliable reading. The paper OS map carried on working though!

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old May 29th 09, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

I remember going for a walk in the forest near Mildenhall when there was
a lot of military activity, transporter plans landing in convey every
few minutes, and my GPS refused to lock on to any satellites or give me
a reliable reading. The paper OS map carried on working though!

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
" || _`\,_ |__\ \ | caving, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

Argh....you've now got me thinking, Mike. Late April I posted a fault with
my GPS, this was right next to Otterburn firing range...I wonder???

Jhimmy

Old June 1st 09, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

Jhimmy wrote

Just for your info, those who walk in mid Wales.

http://www.grough.co.uk/view/2009/05...ffect-walkers/

Other then the article, I know nowt about the area ;-)

Good walking with easy paths over the Eppynt. Map hardly
necessary let alone GPS. The remainder is very difficult to get
into high bog/moorland with few paths. Near featureless tussock
grass hell and not for the feinthearted. Probably ideal GPS
territory, ironically :-D

Chris
--
Photography by Chris Gilbert
www.ravenseyegallery.co.uk

Old June 1st 09, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Chris Gilbert wrote:

Just for your info, those who walk in mid Wales.

http://www.grough.co.uk/view/2009/05...ffect-walkers/

Thanks Jhimmy. It'll be midweek and only during the day time, and it's
hardly the most popular area of Wales, so it won't affect many people, If
they're right about the 5km distance then it shouldn't affect anyone in the
Beacons, but you never know. Can they really jam that locally?

Other then the article, I know nowt about the area ;-)

Good walking with easy paths over the Eppynt.

But that's where the training range is!

Map hardly
necessary let alone GPS. The remainder is very difficult to get
into high bog/moorland with few paths. Near featureless tussock
grass hell and not for the feinthearted. Probably ideal GPS
territory, ironically :-D

Probably that's why they chose it for a training area.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.uk-rec-walking.co.uk

Old June 1st 09, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Alan White

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 18:36:44 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

Can they really jam that locally?

Using a local transmitter, yes.
--