garmin topo

Old May 27th 09, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn

Default garmin topo

ok so my memory card came today and i'm getting to grips with my
garmin etrex HCx

I got garmin city navigator europe v9 and garmin topo v2

is it possible to merge the detail and see both on the same map

I can only get topo to work if i deselect city navigator first
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying
Old May 27th 09, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Gwyn said
ok so my memory card came today and i'm getting to grips with my
garmin etrex HCx

I got garmin city navigator europe v9 and garmin topo v2

is it possible to merge the detail and see both on the same map

I can only get topo to work if i deselect city navigator first

That's the way handsets work unless one of the map(sets) is transparent,
and neither of those two is. If you're in the UK I'm not sure what
Europe V9 buys you over topo UK anyway.

That's why the SMC contour maps are coded as transparent - so you can
see a Garmin map underneath them. UK Tops has better contour data and
streams etc., but transparent it isn't (and no, there's no easy way to
fix it. Even if you did, do you really want two lines for all the roads,
coz I'm sure they're all there, in slightly different places, in Europe
V9 too).

You can easily turn off complete sets from the handset under map setup
options - when you get to the screen that lets you select or de-select
individual map tiles hitting 'menu' again gives you the option to turn
on/off whole sets (not well documented IIRC).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
14,375 Km walked. 2,662 Km PROWs surveyed. 48.1% complete.
Old May 28th 09, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn

On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:36:55 +0100, GSV Three Minds in a Can
wrote:

That's why the SMC contour maps are coded as transparent - so you can
see a Garmin map underneath them. UK Tops has better contour data and
streams etc., but transparent it isn't (and no, there's no easy way to
fix it. Even if you did, do you really want two lines for all the roads,
coz I'm sure they're all there, in slightly different places, in Europe
V9 too).

First I used mapsource to upload city navigator then I tried to get
smc contour maps to work first and it was fairly straight forward to
use img2gps to upload the maps into the garmin unit but when I did it
deleted all the city navigator detail. In other words Ive got both
working independently but not together. Is there a special transparent
setting that i'm missing.
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying
Old May 28th 09, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Gwyn said
wrote:

That's why the SMC contour maps are coded as transparent - so you can
see a Garmin map underneath them. UK Tops has better contour data and
streams etc., but transparent it isn't (and no, there's no easy way to
fix it. Even if you did, do you really want two lines for all the roads,
coz I'm sure they're all there, in slightly different places, in Europe
V9 too).

First I used mapsource to upload city navigator then I tried to get
smc contour maps to work first and it was fairly straight forward to
use img2gps to upload the maps into the garmin unit but when I did it
deleted all the city navigator detail. In other words Ive got both
working independently but not together. Is there a special transparent
setting that i'm missing.

You have to load all maps to the handset at the same time, which means
you need to use mapsource to build a mapset, and upload that mapset. SMC
contour maps will work inside mapsource, rather than using img2gps ..
the latter is really for people who don't have mapsource (or 'trip &
waypoint manager', which is the same thing).

Every time you send a mapset to the GPS handset it overwrites the
previous set.

Old May 28th 09, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

wrote:

First I used mapsource to upload city navigator then I tried to get
smc contour maps to work first and it was fairly straight forward to
use img2gps to upload the maps into the garmin unit but when I did it
deleted all the city navigator detail. In other words Ive got both
working independently but not together. Is there a special transparent
setting that i'm missing.

Every map upload over-writes the old maps. So, the upload must be in one
hit.

Its possible to install Contours within MapSource (the Garmin PC program)
and then upload selected Contour tiles plus bits of CityNavigator to the GPS
at the same time.

To get Contours within MapSource requires putting the contour files in the
right directory on the PC and making a small registry change (registry
change file is with the contour download). It does work, but be **very**
careful what you do with the installation and registry changes. Backup the
registry before starting so you can reverse changes. (It helps if you feel
confident to open the registry change file and look what will happen, its
only three lines, so you can undo it if it goes wrong).

I have it installed on both XP and Vista machines.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/