Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Old December 22nd 04, 09:41 AM
Sandy Birrell

Simon Caldwell wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:44:39 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

I've heard several different pronunciations over the years, several
from people who "should know" and were quite adamant about it. They
can't all be right...

Unless of course there are several equally valid pronunciations.

Scoan or skon?

;-)

Scoon

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy
Sandy

Old December 22nd 04, 10:04 AM
Peter Clinch

wrote:

I've heard several different pronunciations over the years, several from
people who "should know" and were quite adamant about it. They can't
all be right...

Unless of course there are several equally valid pronunciations.

Entirely possible, but in that case the adamant folk still can't all be
right because they're saying this is *the* way it's pronounced...

Scoan or skon?

One of them wee cakey biscuit thingies with heaps of jam and cream and a
pot of tea! ;-)

Having been born and raised in South East England, moved to the Midlands
for University, shared flats with Northerners and then moved to Scotland
my own set of favoured pronunciations is quite a mixed bag! Add that to
an unusual accent (one of those cases where the first time you hear a
recording of yourself you've no idea who it is, and it sounds totally
different inside) and it's fairly atypical for people to place where I
come from just from my speech.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old December 22nd 04, 11:32 AM
RJ Webb

Having been born and raised in South East England, moved to the Midlands
for University, shared flats with Northerners and then moved to Scotland
my own set of favoured pronunciations is quite a mixed bag! Add that to
an unusual accent (one of those cases where the first time you hear a
recording of yourself you've no idea who it is, and it sounds totally
different inside) and it's fairly atypical for people to place where I
come from just from my speech.

I am a bit similar... Scots / Herefordshire vocab in a strange
westcountryish accent. (resident in Somerset during childhood) Been
accused of coming from Portsmouth, which is the biggest British city
that I have never visited. Kids find it very confusing and its the
first question I get asked....

Usually accused of being a farmer (well close) but I judging by the
chatter at the back, I have now been outed as a pirate...

Richard Webb
Old December 22nd 04, 05:25 PM
Adrian Tupper

Peter Clinch wrote in news:32sqehF3q4dajU1
@individual.net:

Simon Caldwell wrote:

The bloke in the kilt who used to live in the derelict caravan by the
campsite in Torridon (and who now seems to live in one of the
(council?) houses there) was quite adamant that the correct
pronunciation is as it's spelled, ie Lee-ath-ach.

And he should know.

I've heard several different pronunciations over the years, several from
people who "should know" and were quite adamant about it. They can't
all be right...

(I usually go for Lee-a-t(h)ach myself, as I just like the sound of it).

Pete.

I used to, until someone assured me it was Lee-ag-ach. But that didn't
sound especially gaelic so I settled for Lee-a(g)h-ach. i.e the middle
consonnant is slightly softer than the last.

--
Adrian
Old May 27th 17, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

Default Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Larik groo. The pass of Drew.
Old May 27th 17, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tim Jackson[_2_]

On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:46:58 +0100, Graham Seed wrote...

You say that but English is much worse. My German friend pointed out
that the German language was fairly easy to follow as it was logical
whereas English was a minefield,

Some years ago I visted a German museum with a German friend, who was
translating the labels on various historical agricultural implements for
my benefit.

Eventually I realised what he meant by a "pluff".

Gaelic is fairly logical too once you know the rules.

So is Welsh. I was able to help a Canadian couple I once met half-way
up Corn Du in the Brecon Beacons. They pointed to Llyn Cwm Llwch on
their map and asked how on earth you could pronounce something with no
vowels. I explained that 'w' and 'y' are vowels in Welsh.

Mind you, I've no idea how the Welsh rules work to modify consonants at
the beginnings of words, e.g. fawr and mawr; fach and bach.

--
Tim Jackson
lid