Care of Speedo Solid Racer Suit

Old August 21st 03, 03:45 PM
Karl Dentino

Default Care of Speedo Solid Racer Suit

I am relatively new to the group so if this has been covered please
forgive me. I swim in a chlorinated pool three times a week, in the
water about 45 minutes. My swimsuit is the Speedo solid racer #70800.
It is mostly lycra. I have noticed that while the fit lasts quite
long the seat tends to fray or thin a bit after only a month of use or
so, and small white flecks start to appear. I only rinse the suit in
the shower (no soap) and I have been rotating them. Am I doing
something wrong? Should I be washing them in the washing machine?
They are quite expensive at $30 a pop. I would think that I should get
at least 6 months out of them.
thanks,
Karl
Old August 21st 03, 04:13 PM
Michael Wyatt

Karl,

I find that with my Speedos at the end of a swim session I always ensure I
wash my Speedos in the shower immediately after my swim. I have no
hesitation in using my hand soap or shampoo when I do this. I rotate two
pairs of Speedos, one of which are well over a year old but still in very
respectable condition. Then I rinse the Speedo free of the soap. At the
end of my shower I again rinse the Speedo in pure cold water from the
shower. I find this has a contracting effect which helps keep your swim
suit snug rather than stretched.

You should also be very particular as to the type of Speedo you buy.
Chlorine is NOT good for them. The "Speedo" brand have a range out called
"Endurance" these swimmers are designed to be more chlorine resistant and
longer lasting (and they do cost a little more). But this range I find are
fantastic in their practicality and function as well as feeling very good
when worn in and around the pool.

Note a lycra based Speedo is the LEAST chlorine resistant material (I
think).

Cheers
Mike

m...

Old August 21st 03, 11:36 PM
Brian D

On 21 Aug,
"Michael Wyatt" wrote:

You should also be very particular as to the type of Speedo you buy.
Chlorine is NOT good for them. The "Speedo" brand have a range out called
"Endurance" these swimmers are designed to be more chlorine resistant and
longer lasting (and they do cost a little more). But this range I find are
fantastic in their practicality and function as well as feeling very good
when worn in and around the pool.

IIRC the lycra type suits are rated for 18 hours use in chlorinated water.

I have used Speedo Endurance for a number of years, usually bought as a club
costume. It is said at the club that our children will inherit them.

(I've lost a couple of pairs, and a couple of more recent pairs have started
to pull in places, perhaps Speedo have realised the older ones lasted
forever? 8-(((( ).
--
Brian D

Old August 22nd 03, 04:57 AM
DaKitty

"Karl Dentino" wrote in message
m...
I am relatively new to the group so if this has been covered please
forgive me. I swim in a chlorinated pool three times a week, in the
water about 45 minutes. My swimsuit is the Speedo solid racer #70800.
It is mostly lycra. I have noticed that while the fit lasts quite
long the seat tends to fray or thin a bit after only a month of use or
so, and small white flecks start to appear. I only rinse the suit in
the shower (no soap) and I have been rotating them. Am I doing
something wrong? Should I be washing them in the washing machine?
They are quite expensive at $30 a pop. I would think that I should get
at least 6 months out of them.
thanks,
Karl

A pro swim shop around here says that a swimsuit (with proper care) should
last you 100 pool hours.
not 100 wearing hours, but actual pool hours.

I figured out, I don't take the best care of mine and spend up to 2 hours a
day in a pool.
That's about a month, at most month and a half.
Sounds about right, 6 weeks in the pool, and I had to get a new one couple
of weeks ago, cause the previous one was showing some serious wear.
Especially when I accidentally tossed it in the dryer with the towels.
Ahhh, dark blue on dark blue.... who knew. Oooops!

Old August 22nd 03, 09:53 AM
Helgi Briem

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:36:15 +0100, Brian D
wrote:
On 21 Aug,
"Michael Wyatt" wrote:

You should also be very particular as to the type of Speedo you buy.
Chlorine is NOT good for them. The "Speedo" brand have a range out called
"Endurance" these swimmers are designed to be more chlorine resistant and
longer lasting (and they do cost a little more). But this range I find are
fantastic in their practicality and function as well as feeling very good
when worn in and around the pool.

IIRC the lycra type suits are rated for 18 hours use in chlorinated water.

Nah, way more than that. My son swims about 14 hours a week and
they lasted about 2 months.

I have used Speedo Endurance for a number of years, usually bought as a club
costume. It is said at the club that our children will inherit them.

We both wear Endurance now and they've been going strong
for a year. Not as comfortable as Lycra, though.

--
Helgi Briem
Old August 22nd 03, 06:56 PM
Karl Dentino

Thanks to all of you for the sage advice. I will check out the
endurance suits and Martin is correct. I do rest against a rough
concete wall in between sets. I am sure that does it!
Karl

"Martin W. Smith" wrote in message ...
Karl Dentino wrote:

I am relatively new to the group so if this has been covered please
forgive me. I swim in a chlorinated pool three times a week, in the
water about 45 minutes. My swimsuit is the Speedo solid racer #70800.
It is mostly lycra. I have noticed that while the fit lasts quite
long the seat tends to fray or thin a bit after only a month of use or
so, and small white flecks start to appear. I only rinse the suit in
the shower (no soap) and I have been rotating them. Am I doing
something wrong? Should I be washing them in the washing machine?
They are quite expensive at $30 a pop. I would think that I should get
at least 6 months out of them.
thanks,
Karl

I've only seen this problem when I wear my suit under my gym shorts when
I do some bike riding. Another case is where you lean your but against
the wall at the shallow end of the pool while resting between sets, and
you inadvertently scrape your but along the relatively rough concrete
wall. You only have to tear a few threads and the fabric begins to fail.

martin