Scottish Highlands

Old June 29th 04, 12:49 PM
The Reids

Default Scottish Highlands

Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?
Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old June 29th 04, 01:27 PM
Peter Clinch

The Reids wrote:
Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?

Technically it'll be north of the Highland Boundary Fault. Arran is at
one end of it and it runs across Loch Lomond to about Dunkeld and then
around Stonehaven on the E coast.

Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"

Don't see why not.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 29th 04, 05:26 PM
Chris Gilbert

The Reids wrote

Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?
Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"

It's usually the Highlands and Islands. Islands is broken down
into Shetland, Orkney, Outer Hebrides, Inner Hebrides, Skye and Mull
and Highlands is broken down into Western Highlands above the Great Glen
and the Central Highlands below. Cairngorms is often regarded as separate
group.

AFAIK

But there are other smaller areas often identified by the rivers that
drain out of them (eg. Tarf, Feshie, Coe) or discrete geographical group
(eg. Mamores, Lawers, Cairnwell, Trossachs etc)

Chris
Old June 29th 04, 06:26 PM
RJ Webb

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:49:11 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?
Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"

Achill Island Co. Mayo

The Highland boundary fault then disappearsunder the Atlantic for
good. Catches a lot of Donegal, fetches up in Scotland at
Machrihanish, Kintyre, ironically putting the rough hilly bit of the
peninsula in the "lowlands", crosses Arran and up to Helensburgh, Loch
Lomond, and the familiar line beyond.

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

Richard Webb
Old June 30th 04, 10:38 AM
The Reids

Following up to RJ Webb

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

You drive through the Highlands to get there! Driving north with
the sea and Arrran on my right I found it hard to accept Glasgow
was behind it rather than America. :-)
Old June 30th 04, 11:34 PM
Duncan Gray

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to RJ Webb

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

You drive through the Highlands to get there! Driving north with
the sea and Arrran on my right I found it hard to accept Glasgow
was behind it rather than America. :-)

America is behind it. It's just that Eurasia is blocking the view!

--
Duncan Gray

homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk
also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk
The Mountaineering Council of Scotland

Old July 1st 04, 12:02 AM
RJ Webb

America is behind it. It's just that Eurasia is blocking the view!

Yawn.. another misguided individual who thiks the world is round....

Richard Webb
Old July 1st 04, 12:19 AM
Duncan Gray

"RJ Webb" wrote in message

America is behind it. It's just that Eurasia is blocking the view!

Yawn.. another misguided individual who thiks the world is round....

No I don't. You fall off thge edge after you pass Iceland!

Old July 1st 04, 12:48 AM
J MacEwan

For questions like that I'd always turn to the Edinburgh Uni Gazeteer:

"Highlands

A name given to that part of Scotland northwest of a line
approximating to the Highland Boundary Fault that joins Helensburgh in
the southwest to Stonehaven in the northeast, the Highlands is a term
that can be used as a geographical or cultural definition.
Geographically, it comprises the upland areas of Scotland in the
Grampian Mountains and the North West Highlands which are separated
from each other by the Great Glen. Culturally, the lower eastern
margin from Caithness round the Moray Firth to Moray and Aberdeenshire
can also be included in the Highlands."

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feat...first7445.html
Old July 1st 04, 09:42 PM
Bernie Hughes

J MacEwan wrote:

Culturally, the lower eastern
margin from Caithness round the Moray Firth to Moray and Aberdeenshire
can also be included in the Highlands."

Interesting. Why though?

Bernie

Scottish walks :> Kris Walking in the UK 18 February 2nd 04 06:13 PM
best areas for hillwalking in the highlands Jamie Walking in the UK 3 November 18th 03 02:40 PM
Scottish roads in winter Andy P Walking in the UK 21 November 15th 03 05:31 PM
scottish walks BJ Walking in the UK 15 November 2nd 03 09:03 PM
Weather Forecasts: Scottish Roads In Winter: Beware. We sometimes get it wrong. RJ Webb Walking in the UK 0 October 13th 03 10:53 AM