Overhead squats

Old January 25th 09, 08:37 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bob Volkmer[_2_]

Default Overhead squats

Just to add some spice in these old bones I thought I would try overhead
squats today. I read up and youtubed about them and took on board that
it isn't easy and you need to start very light. I also noted that you
need to get some good shoulder flexibility.

Anyhow, I tried it with just an OLY bar and soon realised that I had a
hell of a lot of CNS learning and much better shoulder flexibility. So I
went and did a few sets of back squats and other things (like goblet
squats and stiff legged deadlifts and calf stuff. I usually do deadlifts
first with a leg day but was just interested in overhead squats. Should
I pursue with them or just revert to usual stuff, which is working very
well?

Bob
Old January 25th 09, 02:57 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Bob Volkmer" wrote in message
node...
Just to add some spice in these old bones I thought I would try
overhead squats today. I read up and youtubed about them and took on
board that it isn't easy and you need to start very light. I also
noted that you need to get some good shoulder flexibility.

Anyhow, I tried it with just an OLY bar and soon realised that I had a
hell of a lot of CNS learning and much better shoulder flexibility. So
I went and did a few sets of back squats and other things (like goblet
squats and stiff legged deadlifts and calf stuff. I usually do
deadlifts first with a leg day but was just interested in overhead
squats. Should I pursue with them or just revert to usual stuff, which
is working very well?

Bob

For whatever it's worth, I tried them quite a few times before I was
able to do them, and I found that doing what I could one day then not
doing any OHS' for a few days or even a few weeks seemed to be what felt
right to me - couldn't tell you why but it really took me a long time to
work into doing these.

The OHS with a stick (read: 20 kg lighter than an empty bar) is still a
fine exercise - might be best to start there. I use an extension
thingie that we used to screw into the paint roller when we painted the
ceiling. Much better to start with that - you can use a broom, get a
length of plastic pipe at the hardware store, whatever - and work on
just getting used to the thing. The bad news here is that more weight
will give you more feedback about whether or not the bar is straight
overhead, but it's still recommended by most to start with no weight.
I'm fortunate that we also own a 25 lb. bar, so when I learned these, I
used a stick first, then the 25 lb. bar, and then finally the Oly bar.

Also worth mentioning that varying your grip width can be a very good
thing, e.g., you can try a grip that's slightly on the narrow side for
you, see what you can get done that way in terms of depth, call it a
set, rest a bit, then try a slightly wider grip and might find you've
improved your OHS performance as a result - I used to like this
approach.

For the record, I got up to about 2/3 or 3/4 of my bodyweight and didn't
try to go heavier because I was more interested in the shoulder
flexibility aspect - once I got up to that weight, I worked on narrowing
my grip until I was able to get a 1/2 bw OHS with my hands pretty much
straight up and down.

Last but certainly not least, a light OHS makes a _fantastic_ warmup for
the deadlift or more traditional front or back squats - really forces
you to align your spine in the right way. If memory serves, I set my
lifetime deadlift PR after working on OHS' for a while, then scaling
back and just using the empty bar as a warmup for my deadlifts.

Just my experiences, YMMV. Getting a decent OHS is a noble quest - keep
at it.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old January 25th 09, 10:06 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Andrzej Rosa

Dnia 2009-01-25 Bob Volkmer napisał(a):
Just to add some spice in these old bones I thought I would try overhead
squats today. I read up and youtubed about them and took on board that
it isn't easy and you need to start very light. I also noted that you
need to get some good shoulder flexibility.

Anyhow, I tried it with just an OLY bar and soon realised that I had a
hell of a lot of CNS learning and much better shoulder flexibility. So I
went and did a few sets of back squats and other things (like goblet
squats and stiff legged deadlifts and calf stuff. I usually do deadlifts
first with a leg day but was just interested in overhead squats. Should
I pursue with them or just revert to usual stuff, which is working very
well?

Up to you. If you decide to pursue, it will take some time until you'll
be able to add any meaningful weights. Is it worth it? It pretty much
depends if you want better flexibility or not. But as the proverb goes,
use it or lose it, you'll probably lose faster and more without them
than with them.

In case you wanna go there, try rubber band OHS. You grab a rubber band
(or compatible) and hold it overhead the way you'd hold a bar, then you
squat trying to keep the band exactly overhead. It definitely helped
me, and I used to start every workout with this exercise. Rubber band
shoulder dislocates are good too, though I had to be a bit careful with
those, hence I preferred to just squat with the band outstretched
overhead.

So, to summarize, OHSs are one of the best ever overall flexibility
building exercises, but in case you decide to do them, I recommend you
start every workout with this exercise, or your progress will be really
slow.

--
Andrzej Rosa
Old January 25th 09, 11:30 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bob Volkmer[_2_]

Andrzej Rosa wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the feedback Andrez et al. I might try them very slow
and see how I get on.

Cheers
Bob
Old January 27th 09, 02:29 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

"misanthropic_curmudgeon"
wrote in message
On Jan 26, 3:57 am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
[snip]
For whatever it's worth, I tried them quite a few times before I was
able to do them

Likewise.

The OHS with a stick (read: 20 kg lighter than an empty bar) is still
fine exercise - might be best to start there. I use an extension
thingie that we used to screw into the paint roller when we painted
the
ceiling.

Another option is a towel.

Yes, also a jumpstretch band or bungie or a piece of rope - all good
because they're light.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Numbness from overhead squats? Also, Seattle doctors Brandon Berg Weights 10 March 29th 05 01:50 AM
Deadlift Followed by Overhead Press? mikem Weights 18 September 1st 04 03:28 PM
Overhead press User Weights 2 June 17th 04 05:53 AM
Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats Renee Weights 14 June 15th 04 05:53 PM
Overhead Shrugs Top Sirloin Weights 7 September 12th 03 11:29 PM