Working the upper body while walking

Old March 16th 08, 03:31 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking
Don

Default Working the upper body while walking

I am not sure if this will help others,
but I have found a very simple
inexpensive way to work the upper
body while walking.

I use a pair of leather work gloves
and some rope about 7' in length.

As I am walking, I do presses (overhead,
incline, regular, decline, etc) and
"cable flys", etc for the different
body parts -- chest, back, neck,
wrist, bicep, tricep, shoulders, etc by
just pulling/pushing on the rope using
my other hand to provide the resistance
by squeezing on the rope allowing the
friction in the work glove to provide all
the resistance I need. My grip also
regulates the speed each rep is performed.

Unlike stretch bands, there is no negative
(Arthur Jones - Nautilus) part of the rep but
I have greater range of motion on the positive
portion of the rep since I can provide some
resistance at any point which is not possible
with stretch bands.

It reminds me of the old "exer-genie"
workouts, if you ever had one.
You press/pull and extend the rope
though the resistance coil and
then quickly retract the rope
to perform the next rep. (One
of my roommates in college
who was a shotputter used to
workout with one all the time.)

The number of different exercises
you can perform is only limited by
your imagination.

It relieves the boredom of just
walking by trying to think up new
exercises to be performed using
the rope and I wake up sore the
next morning which lets me know
I had a good upper body workout.

Don
Old March 16th 08, 09:58 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking
Sam

On Mar 15, 7:31*pm, Don wrote:
[...]

Sounds good...what kind of rope do you use? I have a resistance band
and was wondering if that might work the same way?
Old March 17th 08, 12:21 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking
Don

I am using 1/4" nylon, doubled right now but want to
try other fibers and thicknesses as well. This happened
to be the only piece of rope that I had when I first
tried this.

I am doubling a 14' piece of rope to have a working
length of about 7' with the two ends tied together,
but a single strand should work fine with maybe
a loop made at one or both ends to grip for pressing.

Before this I used resistance tubing and would
grip several tubes for presses where I needed
more resistance. I would use 1 up to 4 tubes
depending on the exercise.

But the rope has eliminated that problem
for me.

Don

Old May 7th 08, 08:05 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking
Proctologically Violated®©

Admittedly a little late on this thread, but it's a good idea.
I would mix this with HeavyHands. I think HH is more consistent with the
biomechanical process of walking/running, as it allows the arms to maintain
the biomechanical balance in cadence with the legs, and will probably make
faster walking more comfortable than if you were using a rope.

But rope work whilst walking certainly is fitness-multitasking.

I think this thread/idea came up before.
--
------

Sodomized by Congress, butt again...
But, Obama at least took me to the hospital!

all d'numbuhs

Old October 27th 09, 09:48 AM
brucemendes brucemendes is offline
Junior Member

Hi...

Thanks for sharing the post...
__________________
r4 nintendo ds
Old August 1st 11, 10:27 AM
Michealleo Michealleo is offline
Junior Member

hi ofcourse ut's really helpfull for our upper body too . Anyway ur still doing fine . And the way ur going that will really helped u out for buliding your shoulder muscles too . so keep doing it. Best of luck .
__________________
Micheal
Old September 12th 11, 12:06 PM
kaney2021 kaney2021 is offline
Junior Member

If you're in the health and fitness business, you may think you're selling health and fitness. Well, you are... but in order to sell your product or service, you have to think as though you're not. You see, you're really selling attractiveness, sexiness, desirability, and fun. That's because the health and fitness movement revolves around vanity.
__________________
Balance D Ostaderm
Old November 16th 11, 06:29 PM
klacc klacc is offline
Banned

Could you post a video. I have a hard time seeing what you are trying to describe.
Old May 1st 12, 10:48 AM
MikeHeath MikeHeath is offline
Junior Member

This sounds good but it is a little confusing to me.
I would really appreciate if you could make a video of it.
website
Old May 14th 12, 01:41 PM
mistygreen mistygreen is offline
Junior Member

Location: usa

Good post.Walking is very good for keeping health and body fit.I did walking exercise regularly.And after reading above post I am going to fallow their tips.!!