Bench Press question

Old January 27th 05, 09:05 PM
im2manly im2manly is offline
Junior Member

Question Bench Press question

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way I have a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a arch when you bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get a better work out by arching or by not arching? thanks
Old January 28th 05, 05:12 AM
Hobbes

In article , im2manly
wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way Ihave

a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a archwhen you
bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get abetter work out
by arching or by not arching? thanks-- im2manly

Define 'better workout'.

--
Keith
Old January 29th 05, 06:28 AM
Jeff Finlayson

im2manly wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
im2manly wrote:

I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way
Ihave-a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a arch
when you bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get a
better work out by arching or by not arching?
thanks-- im2manly

Define 'better workout'.

Well will I work my pecs better if i arch or am i just better off not
arching

Probably better by not arching. Arching reduces range of motion at
the bottom of the bench where the pecs do most of the work. But
arching allows heavier weights to be lifted. I think the former
will make a bigger difference.
Old February 2nd 05, 08:51 AM
Larry Hodges

im2manly wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way I
have a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a arch
when you bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get a
better work out by arching or by not arching? thanks

You can arch, but always keep your butt on the bench. If the butt comes off
the bench, you're arching too much. And Hobbes knows more about this stuff
than all of us in this thread, so listen to his advice over the rest of us.
--
-Larry

Old February 7th 05, 11:34 PM
bellfit

You are doing bench press to make your pecs (chest) huge, right? When
you arch your back, you rob your pecs from the the work, and load your
lats instead.

Read more about pecs eercises at:
http://www.gymgoal.com/exs.jsp

Old February 8th 05, 10:35 AM
npne

"bellfit" wrote in message
oups.com...
You are doing bench press to make your pecs (chest) huge, right? When
you arch your back, you rob your pecs from the the work, and load your
lats instead.

Read more about pecs eercises at:
http://www.gymgoal.com/exs.jsp

Sorry, is that a yes or a no?