How To Change Timex Ironman Watchband?

Old January 21st 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.running
Peter S.

Default How To Change Timex Ironman Watchband?

OK, I know this should be simple but ..

Trying to change the battery in my Timex Ironman Triathlon watch.
Instructions from the Timex site are pretty clear on how to do this,
except it merely says "remove the watch band" without elaborating on
exactly how to do this.

Note: I'd be happy to take it to a jeweler and let them do it, except
the last time I did that, he broke out in a cold sweat and when he
finished, he said he'd never do one of these again. And the watch's
functions did not operate properly. I finally wound up sending it in to
the Timex service department.

So, how does one remove the watch band?

This model is the version with the GPS and heart monitor, but the watch
and the band are pretty much like all the others in this model line.
Old January 21st 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.running
tfactor

Peter S. wrote:
OK, I know this should be simple but ..

Trying to change the battery in my Timex Ironman Triathlon watch.
Instructions from the Timex site are pretty clear on how to do this,
except it merely says "remove the watch band" without elaborating on
exactly how to do this.

The one I have,
http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5E921-M.../dp/B000AYYJ12
has regular spring-loaded pins like any other watch band except
because of the way the ends of the band fit into the watch face you
can only access the pins from the back. You need a very narrow tool to
push back the end of the pin so that it can drop out of its hole. A
jeweler has a special notched tool that works perfectly but you can
improvise with a small-bladed screwdriver or a knife point. The pins
tend to get spring-propelled across the room and they're easy to lose
so be careful.

My problem is that I can't find a replacement strap that fits. Timex
sells generic Ironman bands but they don't look like they'll work
because of the way the ends on mine fit into the face. Timex must
think I'll buy a new one because the strap's broken but I've cobbled a
repair out of duct tape and I'm going to wear it until it dies out of
principle even though it looks like hell.

Note: I'd be happy to take it to a jeweler and let them do it, except
the last time I did that, he broke out in a cold sweat and when he
finished, he said he'd never do one of these again. And the watch's
functions did not operate properly. I finally wound up sending it in to
the Timex service department.

My experience is that water-proof watches are no longer water-proof
after you replace the battery. I've found it impossible to get the
O-ring seated properly which is what makes the water-proof seal. Maybe
that's the problem your jeweler had although I haven't had anyone
complain when I've had it done (now that I've given up doing it myself).

Old January 22nd 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.running
[email protected]

"Peter S." wrote in news:4794feda$0$6330
:

OK, I know this should be simple but ..

Trying to change the battery in my Timex Ironman Triathlon watch.
Instructions from the Timex site are pretty clear on how to do this,
except it merely says "remove the watch band" without elaborating on
exactly how to do this.

Note: I'd be happy to take it to a jeweler and let them do it, except
the last time I did that, he broke out in a cold sweat and when he
finished, he said he'd never do one of these again. And the watch's
functions did not operate properly. I finally wound up sending it in to
the Timex service department.

So, how does one remove the watch band?

This model is the version with the GPS and heart monitor, but the watch
and the band are pretty much like all the others in this model line.

A rocket scientist you're not.

Timex Ironman GPS VITOdelapata Running 1 February 23rd 04 10:30 PM
Timex Ironman GPS T53501 VITOdelapata Running 7 February 10th 04 03:36 PM
Ironman Timex GPS Watch VITOdelapata Running 17 February 5th 04 03:58 AM
looking for opinions about Timex ironman/HRM Sylvain Scaglione Aerobic 0 July 2nd 03 01:34 PM
looking for opinions about Timex ironman/HRM Sylvain Scaglione General 0 July 2nd 03 01:34 PM