A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

keep fit/burn fat

Old August 1st 12, 07:45 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Aug 2012
Default keep fit/burn fat

hi im new on here i have recently invested in a ellipital cross trainer to get fit and burn some fat im currently doin 20-25 mins on this between 3-4 days a week is this long enough and also should i start on an empty stomach to burn fat straight away.

id also like to add to this exercise i havnt got the room for weights so i was thinking of getting resistance bands to build some muscle but dont know what brand to buy and suggestions
Old August 2nd 12, 10:50 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Ivan The Not-So-Bad
external usenet poster

Default keep fit/burn fat

On 2012-08-01, marshag wrote:

hi im new on here i have recently invested in a ellipital cross trainer
to get fit and burn some fat im currently doin 20-25 mins on this
between 3-4 days a week is this long enough and also should i start on
an empty stomach to burn fat straight away.

id also like to add to this exercise i havnt got the room for weights so
i was thinking of getting resistance bands to build some muscle but dont
know what brand to buy and suggestions

It's difficult to tell you if that amount of exercise will be enough per week
to lose weight. It depends on your calorie intake and life style.

What can you expect to burn on an elliptical?
http://www.livestrong.com/article/77...ur-elliptical/

Figure out your BMR: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

If you take in more net calories than your BMR, you will not lose weight.

If you take in fewer net calories than your BMW, you will lose weight.

I don't exercise fasted but read that it does have its benefits. I do
intermittent fasting but I do have a pre-workout meal.

As far as having room for weights, look into weight training exercises using
your own body weight. Incorporate that along with exercise bands if you wish.
Old August 23rd 12, 12:51 PM

To get fit and burn some fat im currently doin 20-25 mins on this between 3-4 days a week is this long enough and also should i start on an empty stomach to burn fat straight away.
Old August 28th 12, 08:20 AM

Hi,

I hate to break the news to you but cardio alone won't help you lose fat weight which i assume you are after. If you are looking to lose lean muscle tissue then sure go ahead.

Steady state cardio also produces cortisol (stress hormone). This will stimulate the sympathetic nervous system (flight or fright response) and will lead to eventual fat gain!

My advice would be invest in some weights or to perform bodyweight exercises.

At the very least change your steady state cardio to interval training.
Go easy 2 min then all out for 30 sec.

If you want to lose weight i recommend you focus on better nutritional habits, this has the biggest effect.
Old August 29th 12, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshag View Post
hi im new on here i have recently invested in a ellipital cross trainer to get fit and burn some fat im currently doin 20-25 mins on this between 3-4 days a week is this long enough and also should i start on an empty stomach to burn fat straight away.

id also like to add to this exercise i havnt got the room for weights so i was thinking of getting resistance bands to build some muscle but dont know what brand to buy and suggestions
Honestly a good set of adjustable dumbbells would be perfect for you. They won't take up space like a barbell would. You could start out with a 2 day per week routine to ease in to it and you might be surprised by how many calories you burn doing some compound exercises.
Old September 6th 12, 04:31 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Sep 2012

Quote:

I always feel that it is good to start workout on an empty stomach. I have yet to see any writing proof that it matters, but it just makes sense in my mind that your body is going to be able to burn other calories other than what you just ate.

As far as for how long you should workout, it is going to depend on your body type, metabolism, etc.... I would say start with a time frame that you will stick with. what I mean is that you don't want to be too ambious when starting out, you want to pick a time frame that you will stick too. Often times people say "I'm going to run for a n hour" when that is not realistic for there fitness level.

All this does is make you really sore and many people end up quitting before they really get started. Good Luck!!!
Old September 13th 12, 06:34 AM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Sep 2012

Hello everyone. I would like to inform you that I bought a cross trainer to help me reduce extra fat from the body. I want to use it 20 minutes daily.
Old February 1st 13, 01:00 PM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Feb 2013

I think that*this information is*the best.
Old February 2nd 13, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markboucher View Post
Hello everyone. I would like to inform you that I bought a cross trainer to help me reduce extra fat from the body. I want to use it 20 minutes daily.
if you are fit than obviously you burn your fats regularly, don't be confuse it is a simple thing, if you eat your meal and do proper exercise, like walk or gym etc etc , than you will burn your fats and remain fit.
Old February 8th 13, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

You've already received some good advice her. The only thing I would add is that high intensity interval training is very effective in achieving your goals. So, your elliptical trainer is fine. You can do short intervals of high intensity mixed in with strength exercises that everyone's recommending.