Running lover with back pain...from running? How do I prevent this from happening?

Old August 7th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.running
ridergroov

Default Running lover with back pain...from running? How do I prevent this from happening?

Hello everyone. I am a 27 year old male. 5'10" 185lbs. I run 4 to 5
times a week about 2.5 miles. I am not an amazing running by any means
but have been doing it off and on for about 10 years now and in the
past year I have had middle, lower back pain that prevents me from
running for 2-6 weeks per doctor instructions. I dont' really know why
this has started to happen on a frequent basis in teh past year but I
find it unacceptable and refuse to chalk it up to "getting old". I
dont' want to be in pain but I really need to run. There is nothing to
me like the feeling I get from running a few miles and how that feeling
makes me feel through the entire day. I will tell you that I never
have really done any stretching and I am a "computer nerd" so I am
sitting most of the day at my desk. I do sit on a physio ball becuase
I was told that is better for my back. I want to continue running and
be able to for many years to come. How can I prevent this back pain
from reoccuring. Any advice would be well appreciated. Anything to
get me back to running would be amazing. I just don't feel the same
without it.

Old August 7th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.running
Tony S.

"ridergroov" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

See my reply to the thread "Back problems - time for a second opinion?"
started on July 27th.

-Tony

Old August 7th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.running
Dred

ridergroov wrote:
[...]

getting old? please!

when i hear of back problems, i think of weight. at 185 and 5' 10", you
are pushing bmi of 26+ , which is considered overweight. now, if
you're musclebound, that is another story. but if you have a 35" waist,
then you have found the source of your back problems.

Old August 7th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.running
Dred

ridergroov wrote:
No, believe me I'm not into the "I'm getting old" thing. That is crap.
I'm not that old . I have a 33" waist. Just looking for some advice
about my back, not a BMI lesson.

i gave you advice. if you're 5 10 and 185 lbs, you are likely carrying
too much weight and that is the leading cause of back pain. no need to
be so sensitive.

Old August 7th 06, 11:10 PM
TxRengade TxRengade is offline
Junior Member

Location: Denver, Colorado, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dred
ridergroov wrote:
No, believe me I'm not into the "I'm getting old" thing. That is crap.
I'm not that old . I have a 33" waist. Just looking for some advice
about my back, not a BMI lesson.

In my case back pain is related to running posture. Try to not lean forward from the waist when you run. The more you lean, the more pressure you put on your lower back muscles. The goal is to run with your back in a neutral position.
Old August 9th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.running
Ed Prochak

ridergroov wrote:
No, believe me I'm not into the "I'm getting old" thing. That is crap.
I'm not that old . I have a 33" waist. Just looking for some advice
about my back, not a BMI lesson.

It always surprizes me when folks come here for advice, then complain
about the advice they recieve. If you don't like the advice, skip to
the next message. All advice offered here is FREE.

With that out of the way.

I note you mention nothing about other activities other than sitting
infront of the computer. You also dont mention whether you run "hard"
or "easy" or whether you jump right back up to 2+miles runs as soon as
the doctor says okay. How long have you had the habit of running?
Apparently more than one year but consistantly 6-7miles per week?

Advice:
1, Try ramping up the distance slowly. Go by time. Start at 10minute
runs and build up over several weeks. Check the running FAQ for how to
start. (pretend you are a brand new runner. You may have a bad habit
or two to change.)

2, STRETCH. Since I work at a computer, I too get some slight back
problems. When I fail to stretch regularly, just sitting can be
uncomfortable. So see about putting some stretching into your running
routine. At least stretch after each run. Maybe ask the doctor about
which stretches to start with. Again teh FAQ has some suggestions on
how to do this.

So those are my suggestions.

Your double the money back guarantee becomes effective right now.
8^)

Enjoy the run.
Ed