Timex Ironman Triathlon Bodylink - altitude?

Old November 2nd 03, 12:51 PM
Daniel

Default Timex Ironman Triathlon Bodylink - altitude?

Does the Timex Ironman Triathlon Bodylink show altitude?

/Daniel

Old November 3rd 03, 12:31 AM
xxx

No Daniel. The Bodylink doesn't show altitude. Garmin (the company who made
the GPS receiver for Timex) will release a watch with altitude soon.

Seb

news:Je6pb.481$%[email protected]

Old November 3rd 03, 08:20 AM
Daniel

The Forerunner 201 I guess? But that watch doesn't have a
heart rate monitor, which makes it just a regular GPS-receiver.
And I'm not sure the wrist placement is optimal.
I think I have to be content with the Geko 201, any experience
with that receiver?

/Daniel

Old November 3rd 03, 05:20 PM
Dot

Daniel wrote:
The Forerunner 201 I guess? But that watch doesn't have a
heart rate monitor, which makes it just a regular GPS-receiver.

I don't think it has the full capabilities of a regular GPS-receiver -
or at least their description is vague enough that I haven't been
convinced of it.

And I'm not sure the wrist placement is optimal.

It still uses the patch antenna, rather than the better quad helix (or
at least that's my impression), but I don't know what the best
orientation is for the device.

I think I have to be content with the Geko 201, any experience
with that receiver?

No, but I think you need to get the 301 for barometric altimeter.

Also the Geko series uses AAA batteries, which may only be available in
alkaline (although maybe there's rechargeable ones). I'm distrustful of
alkaline batteries in Alaska winter, but in warmer environments or if
you keep them warm they may be ok.

The forerunner uses a rechargeable lithium, but suspect it may be
proprietary (don't know for sure though). So it's use would depend on
whether you're within reach of electricity every 15 hr of use (that is,
aren't camping or on an ultra) - or have spare batteries.

I think Forerunner is cheaper than Geko 301.

*IF* I use a GPS (rarely these days), I still use a standard one (Garmin
12XL and Etrex Vista) since I had those for work anyway. I use them
mostly for exploration runs or mapping. As far as I've been able to
tell, I don't think any of the GPS devices developed for running have
that capability. The Forerunner sounds like it has the start of
something along those lines, but their description wasn't detailed enough.

But I almost always use a hrm. I train by perceived effort rather than
pace since I'm on hilly trails normally.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope