Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Old February 4th 04, 03:38 AM
Phil M.

Default Ironman Timex GPS Watch

glenn wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

check out the image partway down - the ultimate for geeks (at least
with present gadgets - probably be in one gadget some day)

Excellent review, and thanks for the link. A couple of things that
Joel did not address though -- does it have a backlight feature and if
so, how is the clarity in the dark? How long does it take to get a
signal and does it lose its signal at all?

It has a backlight feature. You can set it to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1
minute, 2 minutes, or indefinately. The clarity is excellent. Bettar than
my Timex Ironman.

The first time you turn it on it takes about 15 minutes to find the 3
satellites (minumum required to function properly). After that, it will
only take a minute to locate the satellites, unless you move more than 500
miles away. I've logged 9 runs with my Garmin. It has only lost a signal
once for about a few hundred yards.

-Phil
Old February 4th 04, 05:38 AM
Dot

Phil M. wrote:

I've logged 9 runs with my Garmin. It has only lost a signal
once for about a few hundred yards.

-Phil

Do you run on enough hills to get a feeling for how accurate (or lack
thereof) the altimeter might be for changes in elevation? Or does that
require the software, hence nobody knows until Garmin provides that?

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Old February 4th 04, 10:56 AM
Phil M.

Dot wrote in news:[email protected]
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Phil M. wrote:

I've logged 9 runs with my Garmin. It has only lost a signal
once for about a few hundred yards.

-Phil

Do you run on enough hills to get a feeling for how accurate (or lack
thereof) the altimeter might be for changes in elevation? Or does that
require the software, hence nobody knows until Garmin provides that?

Dot

The reason I feel that the % grade readings are inacurate is that as I'm
going up a long steady grade, the readings are jumping all over. Since the
software is simply a log book, I'm not sure if that would correct that.
Unless it does the math for you. I would prefer a more accurate real-time
reading.

The software is supposed to be out early this month. So any time now.

-Phil
Old February 4th 04, 11:39 AM
Dot

Phil M. wrote:

The reason I feel that the % grade readings are inacurate is that as I'm
going up a long steady grade, the readings are jumping all over.

Does it do that on flats also or just on hills? I'm thinking it would do
it all the time on the basis that flat is a hill with 0% slope, unless
it's a function of slope. At least with regular GPS's, I can stand still
and watch the location bounce around, occasionally large jumps, but
usually small. Hence, I'd expect some jumping in the elevation also.

Does the elevation profile that you download later make sense,
approximately? I'm mostly interested in totals and maybe occasional hill
heights, generally not in real-time. Thanks.

Dot

Old February 4th 04, 06:26 PM
VITOdelapata

Scott Williams wrote:
Important bit of info there. A GPS unit requires 4 signals to give you
credit for altitude gained or lost. Based on measurements I've taken
with my Timex, I'm thinking that it only catches 3 signals, as I come up
short on distance for my hilly workouts, and I'm a flatlander. It seems
to be remarkably consistent with my cyclometer (which is pretty
accurate) on the flats.

I'd be curious to know, in fact, how many signals the Timex uses.

Let me make sure I have this right. Your saying that in the hills, its
distance measurement is off? Here in Northeast Tennessee there are nothing
but hills and mountains. Elevation change on my runs are 200 to 1000 feet
or more. Actually I am more concerned with distance than with speed. Once I
get my distance logged, I can then check my timer on the watch to figure my
actual time per mile. You can run both the timer and the GPS at the same
time, right?

I like the Forerunner. If I do not get what I want from the Timex, I
will check out it out next.

--
R.Robinson
rrockslide"AT"earthlink.net

Old February 5th 04, 02:15 AM
Phil M.

Dot wrote in
:

Phil M. wrote:

The reason I feel that the % grade readings are inacurate is that as
I'm going up a long steady grade, the readings are jumping all over.

Does it do that on flats also or just on hills? I'm thinking it would
do it all the time on the basis that flat is a hill with 0% slope,
unless it's a function of slope. At least with regular GPS's, I can
stand still and watch the location bounce around, occasionally large
jumps, but usually small. Hence, I'd expect some jumping in the
elevation also.

Does the elevation profile that you download later make sense,
approximately? I'm mostly interested in totals and maybe occasional
hill heights, generally not in real-time. Thanks.

I'm not sure if it does it on the flats. I'm looking at a differnt view
on the flats. I have my "custom screen" set to grade, avg pace, and total
miles. I only use that screen when I'm going up a hill. But I'll check it
on the flats tomorrow to see if it bounces around at all.

The logbook software is not available yet. According to the web site:
"Forerunner 201 Logbook software will be available early February 2004."
So any day now.

-Phil
Old February 5th 04, 02:37 AM
Phil M.

David wrote in
:

"Phil M." wrote:

It has a backlight feature. You can set it to 15 seconds, 30 seconds,
1 minute, 2 minutes, or indefinately. The clarity is excellent.
Bettar than my Timex Ironman.

That's what's so cool about the Forerunner... there is no end to the
customizability of the thing. Awesome onboard software. I just wish it
had a HRM. If it did... I would have bought one in an instant.

I have an HRM, but I haven't been using it lately. I really needed to lose
a gadget or 2. I'm on-call for our IT deparment on the weekends. Since my
long runs are getting into the 12 mile range, I can't in good conscience
leave them hanging for so long, so I need to carry my pager and my cell
phone. Of course, this is in addition to the obligatory running
paraphernalia, such as MP3 player, GPS device, and Gatorade. I recently
purchased a Camelbak Flashflo. It all fits rather niceley along with 45 oz
of Gatorade. So I guess what I really need as an all-in-one "GPS-watch-cell
phone-pager-MP3 Player-Gatorade Dispenser."

-Phil
Old February 5th 04, 03:58 AM
Phil M.

David wrote in news:user-FD6304.22401504022004
@news.hfx.eastlink.ca:

"Phil M." wrote:

So I guess what I really need as an all-in-one
"GPS-watch-cell phone-pager-MP3 Player-Gatorade Dispenser."

Add a HRM to the list... and that would be one SWEET product! :P I
suppose I could have gotten a Forerunner and a seperate HRM... but the
dual watch thing would just be a little too geeky

mmmmm....geeky....oooohhh.