Maps on android phones

Old December 24th 10, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

Default Maps on android phones

Botty wrote:
I've just purchased an Orange San Francisco phone, with a GPS, which
works on Android 2.1, and am trying to establish what maps might be
best to download to the phone's memory card so I can use the maps
without internet connection.

I spoke to Anquet, and they told me that they are developing an App
allowing downloading of their maps to an Android, as you currently can
with PPC etc, this should be soon, but needs v6 of their maps not v1,
so I've upgraded my 50k maps. This should sort out my walking maps

Does anyone have suggestions for maps that could be downloaded to
allow the phone to do the job of a Tomtom, ie cruder street level maps
with a routing system?

Try searching for "open street map" and "android".

I use OSM on my Garmin GPS, rather than the commercial alternatives. The
maps are not perfect, but provided the user has a clue (ie. don't blindly
follow every suggestion!), they are usable and useful.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/