Need advice for a watch/chrono/cardio

Old May 17th 05, 09:06 AM
Giovanni

Default Need advice for a watch/chrono/cardio

Hi all,
It's 4 months i started running and i completed both an half marathon and a
10km races, now i'm getting more and more involved into the sport and i feel
the need to take track of my training sessions to see if i'm improving or
not.
I have a sigma cardio that does its job but doesn't works as a chrono, i
mean, it just takes the total training time and the hr (min, max, avarage,
and the zones), i would like to buy a chrono and i'm looking at:
Timex ironman
Nike triax series
I don't like polar as by the need to send it back to change batteries (i
don't know how nike and timex work about this issue) and bcs they look too
bad...
It would be nice to have also the cardio on the same watch (even if not
necessary but, you know, would look crazy to wear two watches just to
monitor body parameters...).
What can you tell me about?

Thanks

Old May 17th 05, 05:58 PM
Ed Prochak

My original timex ironman had around 10years of service and just
recently died after a long illness (more and more functions just kept
failing, the light, the clock, the timer, thankfully, the stopwatch
function was the last to go).

So I guess that's a vote for durability. I've been running with out a
watch the last few weeks (can be hard not getting feedback on my pace).
I plan on replacing it with another timex soon.

Ed

Old May 17th 05, 06:14 PM
David Geesaman

Do NOT get one of those Timex models controlled by the rotating knob on the
side (I-control?). They suck - I got one for $15 from campmor, thinking a
watch was a watch - boy was I wrong. Well when you rotate that knob, it
makes clicking sounds that don't correspond with anything - it changes from
time to chrono, whenever it feels like it - it could be the first click or
the tenth. Extremely irritating behavior.

Dave

ups.com...

Old May 17th 05, 07:15 PM
gym.gravity

David Geesaman wrote:
Do NOT get one of those Timex models controlled by the rotating knob

on the
side (I-control?). They suck - I got one for $15 from campmor,

thinking a
watch was a watch - boy was I wrong. Well when you rotate that knob,

it
makes clicking sounds that don't correspond with anything - it

changes from
time to chrono, whenever it feels like it - it could be the first

click or
the tenth. Extremely irritating behavior.

I did exactly the same thing...same watch, from campmor. I agree, when
wearing gloves, the knob would always catch onto the wrist of the glove
and switch functions. The chrono would keep going, you just had to get
back to the chrono function. I figured this was why they were so
cheap. I dealt with it until the band broke, and instead of buying a
new band I just got another watch.

This one is another IM. It stores 50 laps with date stamps so if you
haven't been writing down all your workouts you can wait until the end
of the week to do so. It has it's own quirk. The big button on the
face is the start/lap button. At the end of the run, after hitting
stop, if you don't save the workout or switch off of the chrono
function, it's really easy to hit "start" again when you reach into the
fridge for some orange juice.